Backup Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People also built the pyramids before they had computers, so what is your point?

Res Ipsa Loquitur - to suggest that you can't get by quite well without one is ludicrous.

No one is saying that but to imply that there is something "special" about not using it, doesn't make sense. Humans learn how to "make do" with what they have but they also do bigger and getter things with the better tools they are able to invent/make.

I don't want to get into a debate about why computer are good and their self evident numerous benefits to the recreational diver, but we don't need to hear about how cool it is not to use them (Napoleon syndrome type of a talk) . At least not more so than hearing about how cool it is to use the slide rule instead of calculators.

Not when you cut your own tables.

:eyebrow:

PS - did people actually dive (and survive) before computers were ubiquitous?

I'd say, based on how much trouble Lloyd Bridges always seemed to get into, the answer would be 'no' ....... :)

no worries, you'll likely one day be one of those people standing in line on a mutual trip asking me if you can borrow some of my spare parts/gear...program your computer.....try out my new toy.....help you configure your gear...get gear recommendations....and you can be the newest member of my 'he saved my bacon' fan club! :)

tables, bottom timer, etc are great for technical divers that REALLY plan their dives and dive them. quite frankly, i am sure that very few recreational divers actually do the same.

Not when you cut your own tables.

:eyebrow:
Do you mean the PADI wheel? or a multilevel dive plan that you probably prepared using a deco program ??

Standard square profile tables will not work for multilevel dives using them as intended.

I would love to see your custom cut table that handles my sort of multilevel profile (and this is ignoring how changes in the dive plan while diving are accomodated). Make sure your table also does repetitive dive planning.

I'm serious. If you have a better design of tables that make them suitable for multilevel diving, then I'd love to hear about it.

If you search for "flatwheel", you will see my multilevel table, but I'm always looking from improvements. My "flatwheel" is basically a table version of the PADI wheel.

How does your table handle a dive of 95' for 7 minutes, 75' for 10, back to 85 for 2, 60 for 10 minutes, then 45-50 for 20 minutes, then 25-30' for about 15 minutes.

Then my next dive will be near square profile, 65' bottom most of the time around 60', after 75 minute SI. What's my NDL? What's my NDL if I spent 6 minute at 15' at the end of the last dive?

Does your custom table handle that?

Mine does, as well as assist me in doing gas planning for that dive, but I don't know of anybody else having such a table. I do prefer using the computer, though.

So my question is indeed a serious one ..... what does your custom table look like?

Back
Top Bottom