Backup Light Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone offer some thoughts on the difference between Salvo Rat or Rat JR, Halcyon, and OMS backup LED lights? I cannot seem to find any definitive information on the difference between them, and I only have experience with the OMS light (which I did like)

Thanks

You may not need one of the more expensive, robust backup lights on the market if you're doing relatively straightforward recreational dives.

If your primary dive light is one of the reliable LED varieties, then you can probably get away with something small like the Princeton Tec 40. With the way I use a backup light, the light is there to help me abort the dive safely. I can read my gauges/computer/compass and communicate with my buddy with a small one.

Sorry for not answering your question. I don't have any personal experience with those lights, but I'm sure that others will share their opinions/experiences shortly.

You may not need one of the more expensive, robust backup lights on the market if you're doing relatively straightforward recreational dives.

If your primary dive light is one of the reliable LED varieties, then you can probably get away with something small like the Princeton Tec 40. With the way I use a backup light, the light is there to help me abort the dive safely. I can read my gauges/computer/compass and communicate with my buddy with a small one.

Sorry for not answering your question. I don't have any personal experience with those lights, but I'm sure that others will share their opinions shortly.

While they are backup lights, I will probably have to use the one I purchase as a primary light until I have enough money for a canister light, which I will buy as soon as I have the free cash. I know they are certainly not preferable as primary lights, but I simply don't have a choice in the matter. Further, the reason I am leaning towards these lights is also because they meet certain, very specific requirements for a class I will be taking in the future. Namely, they have twist actuation, are streamlined, and have a single hole in the end to attach a brass rigging connector.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

While they are backup lights, I will probably have to use the one I purchase as a primary light until I have enough money for a canister light, which I will buy as soon as I have the free cash.
Ah. OK. That sounds like a reasonable approach.

Can anyone offer some thoughts on the difference between Salvo Rat or Rat JR, Halcyon, and OMS backup LED lights? I cannot seem to find any definitive information on the difference between them, and I only have experience with the OMS light (which I did like)

Thanks

I have the Rat Jrs. I really like them as backups as the fit nicely clipped onto your d-rings and then strapped down with bicycle innertube tie/straps. The Rat Jr's beam spreads out more so than the Rat's beam. Sorry can't offer more info on the Halcyon and OMS. I use the Jrs. as primary lights in the tropics and back up for my camera focus light. I also have a Salvo 10w canister which I really like too for the low weight Li battery canister, dummy proof canister closure and great reflector for Seattle diving. They are now marketed under a different name? I don't know this is all I found online.
Light Monkey Dive Lights

I have an UK SL3 eLED. 100 lumen for 50 bucks. left mine on for 20 hours (long story) and still bright and strong like it had fresh batteries. To me it is strong enough to be a small primary if needed.

The OMS Vega K2 is a very bright light, much brighter than the Rat Jr, comparable to the Rat, but sells for less. I'm not familiar with the Halcyon. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom