Backup light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcg2015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am just getting into the equipment purchasing phase of my GUE/DIR diving. I am looking to get into cave diving and will be taking Fundies soon. One piece of equipment where there seems to be a confusing amount of variation and differences is lighting. There are so many options surrounding lumens, lux, depth ratings, burn time, size, battery type, etc., etc. I've read the standards and understand the GUE requirements for backup lights (twist on/off, disposable batteries, bolt snap attachment) but there still seems to be a lot of offerings. A few I was looking at are:

UTD VIZ 10
Dive Rite BX-1
Light Monkey 3W

I know the Light Monkey (along with Halcyon, Heser, etc.) would be considered more traditional backups with 3 C's, but with all the advancements in more energy efficient LEDs over the last decade, it seems like other companies are capitalizing on this by making brighter lights with smaller form factors (the Dive Rite and UTD use 3 AAA's) while maintaining burn times. They are also quite a bit less expensive.

I would like some advice from experienced GUE/DIR/cave/tech divers as to whether these lights (or any others you would recommend) will fulfill my needs as I continue to get further into GUE/DIR and cave diving. In essence, what backup light would you recommend (may or may not be one I listed) and why? Also, are there any backup lights you would recommend avoiding and why (only of those that meet the GUE standards--e.g., don't tell me to avoid lights with magnetic switches or rechargeable batteries)?

If you are into Cave, I think 3C light is still the right options. Runtime is what you need. No 3x AAA or 1x 18650 will have the same runtime as 3x of the same output. I kind of think DRIS 1000 3C represent the most value for the buck.

UTD light series, while I don't think they are bad light, their spec is wrong and inconsistent, mostly overly execrated output across the board. Take UTD Viz10 for example, 800lux is NOT 800 lumen. 800 lux is very easily archieved, but there is no way 3AAA cell light can produce 800 lumen at all, not to mention for a runtime of 6 hours. Most low cost backup light use Cree LED. To get 800 lumen, you need to run ~2.5A into the LED. AAA cell simple can't deliever this kind of output, even even close. Furthermore, 6 hours runtime means you battery pack needs to be 15000mAh. The best AAA cell has less than 1000mAh. this light with 3AAA will produce about 200 lumen for runtime about 1.5-2 hours at this output.

DiveRite BX-1 is a very similar light to Viz10. Probably the same LED, similar diver. If you look at DiveRite site, it never mention how many lumen it produces. At least it is honest about the runtime to be about 2 hours. For this alone, I will pick diverite over UTD.

I agree with eelnoraa and have two DRIS 1Ks (the 3 C ones). You can get them for $60 a piece and with fresh batteries you will have good burntime.

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Mine have been to 185+ft without issue and DRIS is extremely responsive. That would be my vote.
This light drowns Scout's out, even with the LED module. 3C and quite ruggedly built. The only thing the scout has is its made from all-delrin, which is definitely nice. This light is also a bit longer so its a bit more of a pain in your harness IMO.

I'm a fan of the Light Monkey 2W lights. You get 6 hours of burn-time in a small package and the light is more than bright enough to get you out of any cave.

Light Monkey

My backups are a pair of the DRIS 1Ks. Completely satisfied with them. For OW diving, I put a 70 degree video head on one to help out my little GoPro.

I used the Dorcy backups when I took Fundies in 2009. Good lights and nice size, just not as bright as what's out there now. I've got the DRIS 1ks and like them a lot. Thats what i used in Tech1 and my cave classes. I've considered adding the newer Halcyon Scout as it is a nice light and a tad shorter than what I use now. The reality is there are are a lot of really good options to choose from these days from a lot of manufacturers. Try borrowing lights from people to see what you like. If you stick with tech you'll likely end up with a lot of lights.

Save yourself a lot of headache and just get 2 halcyon XP scouts. They're super good and worth the $.

You think these are better than the Light Monkey 3W's?

---------- Post added October 15th, 2015 at 06:13 PM ----------

If you are into Cave, I think 3C light is still the right options. Runtime is what you need. No 3x AAA or 1x 18650 will have the same runtime as 3x of the same output. I kind of think DRIS 1000 3C represent the most value for the buck.

UTD light series, while I don't think they are bad light, their spec is wrong and inconsistent, mostly overly execrated output across the board. Take UTD Viz10 for example, 800lux is NOT 800 lumen. 800 lux is very easily archieved, but there is no way 3AAA cell light can produce 800 lumen at all, not to mention for a runtime of 6 hours. Most low cost backup light use Cree LED. To get 800 lumen, you need to run ~2.5A into the LED. AAA cell simple can't deliever this kind of output, even even close. Furthermore, 6 hours runtime means you battery pack needs to be 15000mAh. The best AAA cell has less than 1000mAh. this light with 3AAA will produce about 200 lumen for runtime about 1.5-2 hours at this output.

DiveRite BX-1 is a very similar light to Viz10. Probably the same LED, similar diver. If you look at DiveRite site, it never mention how many lumen it produces. At least it is honest about the runtime to be about 2 hours. For this alone, I will pick diverite over UTD.

This makes a lot of sense, I agree that something isn't right about the UTD claims on their site for the Viz10. Thanks for the education.

Sounds like nearly a consensus of praise for the DRIS 1000. How is the beam? Pretty focused? I saw it has an 11.5 deg beam, whereas the Scout and most others have 8 deg.

I'm a big supporter of the UTD gear, solid and reliable, but I think 6 hrs on AAA's is a stretch. I'm also far from being rich, I've had good luck with the DGX 600 and the HOG lights which are more in my price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom