Backup lights strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anybody use anything besides bike tyre for securing backup light ? I have few spares on harnes but I hate to think about re-threading BP to put new ones when these are wasted. I did this twice in the past because of low quality rubber. What about nice bungie cord loop?

When I thread a harness, I put two pieces of innertube on each side.

I tried the bungee cord thing, but the problem is that they tend to fall or roll down the shoulder straps until they're at the waist, where they can be exceedingly difficult to get at.

jonnythan:
I put three pieces on each side a month ago and now I have only one on each side. I'm trying to find more durable solution.

Monk,

Wreck Writer on TDS had a slick solution to this. He put a couple of small holes in the webbing and attached a bungee loop with a zip tie.

Bungie works a charm. Put a drop of super glue on the knot for good measures.

I also 'grease' the rubber tyre rings when threading the BP, helps to stretch their lives a bit. Simple silicone grease keeps them going.

But if all is gone.....Bungee works a charm.

On a new harness such as H's, in the past the tubing was extra wide and the user was to trim this into two pieces, thus having a backup in case one would break. I have no idea if they are still doing this.

jonnythan:

MY new setup came with 2 pieces on each harness side.

Dan Gibson:
On a new harness such as H's, in the past the tubing was extra wide and the user was to trim this into two pieces, thus having a backup in case one would break. I have no idea if they are still doing this.

MonkSeal:
I put three pieces on each side a month ago and now I have only one on each side. I'm trying to find more durable solution.

What are you doing that eats the tubing this fast??? I put on two pieces of tubing on each side when I last replaced my harness (I had worn out the old one). I still have the same two pieces of tubing on each side, and in a month or two I'll have to replace my harness again since it's worn out....

Oh, I *do* deploy my backup lights once in a while. ;-)

/Peo

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom