Backup lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your opinion of the Light Cannon? It is a tad bulky compared to the one your URL went to , but they sure are bright!!! I think they are great for recreational dives and would even consider them for anything under a 90 minute dive.

Originally posted by NetDoc
What is your opinion of the Light Cannon?
It is not a backup Pete and actually diminuative as a primary handheld... I have several friends who have them...
Plenty of light but non-focusing so worthless for signaling...
Also take up a hand...I prefer a lighthead on a goodman handle...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Shane has a pair... identical to my (ouch) Halcyon Scout...

Great! I will save about $30 to $40 by getting these over the Halcyon. Hopefully they will be added to my harness soon.

Originally posted by NetDoc
What is your opinion of the Light Cannon? It is a tad bulky compared to the one your URL went to , but they sure are bright!!! I think they are great for recreational dives and would even consider them for anything under a 90 minute dive.

I have never used a light cannon, however I have used hand helds. They work pretty good for O/W, but I like to have my hands free. For an occasional rec diver who does night dives, I personally think that a hand held light is a wise decision economically.

I have both the Canadian Extreme and the Princeton-Tec 40, and the little Princeton is by far a brighter, whiter light. The CE's (and Halcyon Scouts) are designed to be bombproof, and don't overload the bulb for brightness, so the chances of a bulb blowing when you *really* need the light are minimised. The Princeton is just a *lot* brighter, but is nowhere near as durable, (and doesn't fit in the harness as neatly :rolleyes: ). I've never had problems with it, but it is now my loaner light, I no longer use it for diving, just ski trips and camping.

Now that is very interesting to know. I need to borrow someones light and try them out in a side by side then.

Originally posted by Big James
hand held light is a wise decision economically.
Initially less expensive yes....
But the one thing I noticed with the light cannon folks was that they were using C sized alkaline batteries... it would be better IMO to use rechargeables... if they will supply enough voltage... this might be a problem as alkalines produce 1.5v each and nicads 1.2v each. .3 isn't a big deal until you x it by the number of batteries. Anyone know how the lighcannon works with rechargeables??? Do they get reliable ignition as the batts get low?

Another thing I noticed is that the daytime users of the light cannons kept them off (to conserve battery) during day dives unless they needed them to look back into a hole... HIDs don't like off~n~on.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll take a photo of them side by side so you can see the difference. Very noticeable. Remember however that the Scout type lights are designed for reliability as backup lights, so as long as they put out a useable amount of light (which they do), they are fine for backup purposes. If you want a reef light for daylight use to look under the nooks and crannies, and it's not going to endanger your life if it blows a bulb mid-dive, the Princeton Tec 40 is the one.

Not that you would, but you could throw a CE or Scout at a brick wall, pick it up, and expect it to both have a watertight seal, and still work. I doubt that the Princeton could survive much more that a drop onto concrete from a few feet without cracking the body or breaking the bulb.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Initially less expensive yes....
But the one thing I noticed with the light cannon folks was that they were using C sized alkaline batteries... it would be better IMO to use rechargeables... if they will supply enough voltage... this might be a problem as alkalines produce 1.5v each and nicads 1.2v each. .3 isn't a big deal until you x it by the number of batteries. Anyone know how the lighcannon works with rechargeables??? Do they get reliable ignition as the batts get low?
Don't know about reliability of ignition, but according to UK, Light Cannons work with rechargeables, which generally maintain their output until they go dead, unlike alkalines, which noticeably wear down. But that's the job of the HID's ballast, to regulate the power. At least that's what the guys at the hydro shop told me when I was a, um, tomato farming university student :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom