Backup Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always wear a seatbelt, never been in a car accident:)
Always carry a back up mask, never lost one under water:) :)

Quest once bubbled...
Anyone wear their spare mask inverted on their head (like a baseball cap worn backwards)?

Im wondering how much of a snag risk this might be. Im not sure where i saw this done before. Either a cave diver or a military diver i believe.

Probably military. And it wasn't a spare -- it was for the eyes in the back of their head. :)

Never needed it yet, but once you do if you don't have it then it's a little late. For the 2 seconds it takes to through in a pocket, it's a no brainer for me!:wink:

When i go on scenic dives i dont carry a mask but when i am doing planned deco dives i will always carry one, the one time you will need it you will wonder why you did not have one.

Remember Murphys law?

David

I know that some divers swim with a pony bottle and an extra regulator, sometimes an extra BC (two wings at the same time), an extra knife in case they drop the first, and an extra mask. People probably lose fins with the same frequency as they do masks. I know that using the spring heel straps minimises the possibility of a problem, but what if a diver had to swim against a current to get back to the boat and he lost a fin? That could be a problem. It would be handy if he had a spare fin bungeed to his tank just in case that situation arose. Think about it.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
I know that some divers swim with a pony bottle and an extra regulator, sometimes an extra BC (two wings at the same time), an extra knife in case they drop the first, and an extra mask. People probably lose fins with the same frequency as they do masks. I know that using the spring heel straps minimises the possibility of a problem, but what if a diver had to swim against a current to get back to the boat and he lost a fin? That could be a problem. It would be handy if he had a spare fin bungeed to his tank just in case that situation arose. Think about it.

Don't forget those with extra tanks (pony bottles/doubles) and those with extra SPG's!

What about extra gloves and hoods? Should a diver carry those too?

I have seen divers wear a backup computer. Before computers, some divers would wear an extra wrist watch.

Probably not, but maybe you could look at it like the Risk Analysis we do at work for Medical Equipment, with varying numeric multipliers for frequency of occurence and severity of results. (we also factor in detectability but that probably doesn't apply here)

If you lose a boot, the severity is relatively low, and the likelihood of occurence is very low, so the resultat "number" would be low.

Regulator failure is relatively rare, but the severity would be very high, so that justifies a redundant system for most people.

I doubt that I will ever lose a mask during a dive, but it does happen so I have been considering carrying a spare on me just in case someone does. (I always have a spare in the bag, just not with me underwater)

Each person has to decide the Risk-Reward for each piece of equipment for themselves. They are the ones that have to live with the risks and the consequences.

One other thing to consider: In my gear bag, just like in my vehicles and in my dive gear configuration, some of the things that I "carry" are for other people too, not just for myself. Even if I never need something, I could save someone else's day. And I have helped a LOT of people (not divers) by having things they needed. I just have to decide where I draw the line about how much to carry. (of course respecting other divers by not bringing a humongus dive bag on the dive boat)

My dos centavos, even though no one asked.

Wristshot

Wristshot:

Great post. You nailed the issue squarely.

I always carry a spare mask. It fits in my left drysuit pocket when I'm diving dry. It fits in my BP&W pocket when I'm diving wet.

I've practiced no mask ascents and no mask hangs. I've also worked on line drills and am reasonably confident that I could get to the surface without incident if I had to do so.

But why bother?

Carrying an extra mask has no downside that I can think of at the moment. Not having one when I need it will be a pain. That's enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom