Backup SD cards to usb sticks or external HDD without computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not take a laptop? I have nothing else to do in the evenings in tropical resorts but edit photos taken. My Toshiba with a solid 64 GB hard drive weights almost nothing. I take something to back up anyway, like a 64 GB stick, because I am a back up freak, but I do this via the laptop.

Not all 5 year old phones support OTG. Some new phones and tablets don't support OTG.

"Extremely" old cell phones? ROFL. Those had no USB port on them at all. No cameras. Did have real antennas, external antenna sockets, and swappable battery packs though. In many ways they were better products, made by engineers, not just cosmetics for the rubes.

Is it possible to attach a USB hub through an OTG cable to my mobile (it supports OTG) and then copy files between 2 USB devices (eg from one USB stick to another) connected to the hub? I know I can transfer files from/to my mobile to external media, but is it possible to directly transfer files between external media?

Is it possible to attach a USB hub through an OTG cable to my mobile (it supports OTG) and then copy files between 2 USB devices (eg from one USB stick to another) connected to the hub? I know I can transfer files from/to my mobile to external media, but is it possible to directly transfer files between external media?
With android it's possible, though the hub may need to be powered.

On-the-Go! Fascinating Facts about USB OTG
At least this one web source says that you CAN plug a hub into a USB OTG cable (note cable, the port may not be enough?) and that way plug multiple devices into the phone. How well that works might depend on how well the phone implements OTG, and of course, if the hub is unpowered you might hit power limits. Dunno about the speed, either. But for the five bucks that an unpowered hub will cost, it sounds worth trying. (And clocking for speed.)

Most phones of course will be throttled to USB2 speed limits on that port. If you've got one that can do USB3 or USB-C, you may have a better time.

If your phone has USB-C, you can plug a USB-C device directly. Multiple devices will require a hub (if you're wanting to use them at the same time), and may require a power source.

If you use a hub with your reader, you can also plug in a mouse, and you'll get a pointer on your screen! :)

It doens't look like there are any USB3 OTG hubs that also take cards. You might be better off with a 4-in-1 USB3 OTG adapter, and then plugging card adapters directly into that. 10x speed gain possible.

You want something like the Flashporter or one of the HyperDrive Colorspace backup devices -- you plug the SD card into the device and do a backup. The HyperDrive & Flashporter use an internal battery, and no other device (phone, tablet, etc) or cables are needed. Or an Emtec Photo Cube, which did the same thing in 2007!

Or Gnarbox or WD Passport (which I don't like as much, as you must connect to an app on a phone/tablet to run the backup).

Or the Nexto, which is crazy-expensive.

See B&H Photo for a nice selection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom