Backup SD cards to usb sticks or external HDD without computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

How do you guys back up your sd cards during your trips?

I have a usb SD card reader and I can bring with me some usb sticks and/or a usb external HDD, but I won't bring a laptop. Last time I relied on fellow divers who had a laptop and they were kind enough to let me use it for the transfer, but are there any alternatives?

Thanks

How do you guys back up your sd cards during your trips?... but I won't bring a laptop.

Considering the wieght & cost of an extra HDD , sticks, etc ........I just purchase additional sd cards and when my pictures get half way thru a trip or full, I just remove the sd card and stow it in a plastic bag and put a fresh sd card in the camera. Additional sd cards also have the advantage of if one of them can't be "read" by the camera,,you have a backup plan with your additional sd cards. When I get home with 2,3,4 sd cards, I copy immediately to my desktop and then start working on them.

From a cost ,,weight,,& backup plan perspective,,,You really come out ahead in the long run. And who wouldn't want extra SD cards for the future?

I agree with @Johnoly. A friend of mine has these special HDDs where you plug in your card to backup. I borrowed them once, but only once. Too much weight and hassle. Flash memory is just so cheap. I travel with my Microsoft Surface, so I just copy there if I remember a small adapter.

Reminds me, I should get a micro usb to micro usb cable and see if I can copy files from my TG5 to my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet(my travel stand-in for a computer). The TG5 has a wi-fi mode I can copy stuff to the tablet with, but it's painfully slow...

This is mostly for backup purposes and for looking at my photos/videos on a bit larger screen. I'm using 128GB high speed micro sd cards in both the camera and the tablet, and ended up with about 16GB of photos and video on my last vacation...

Just grab some more cards. I've got a Hyperdrive viewer/backup HDD thingy that I use when I travel, but only so I have a redundant backup of everything, and can preview RAW files. Unless you want a backup, there's really no reason to get anything other than stocking up on extra cards.

Reminds me, I should get a micro usb to micro usb cable and see if I can copy files from my TG5 to my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet(my travel stand-in for a computer). The TG5 has a wi-fi mode I can copy stuff to the tablet with, but it's painfully slow...

This is mostly for backup purposes and for looking at my photos/videos on a bit larger screen. I'm using 128GB high speed micro sd cards in both the camera and the tablet, and ended up with about 16GB of photos and video on my last vacation...
I don't think the TG5 has a USB connector. I think it is a proprietary plug.

I don't think the TG5 has a USB connector. I think it is a proprietary plug.
It's micro usb. It also has a micro hdmi connector.

Trust me, I have the camera.

It's micro usb. It also has a micro hdmi connector.

Trust me, I have the camera.
And I have the TG4. Is it different?

It's USB but at least on the TG4 and earlier models the camera connector was an Olympus special connector plug and standard micro USB cables would not fit.

I couldn't imagine travelling without a laptop. I like to look over the images after each day to see where I've screwed up. I normally can't always tell looking at the small screen on the camera. Never mind the fact that an SD card is so small and easy to lose, There's no shortage of lightweight options like Ultrabooks, MS surface, macbook air etc that are easy to travel with.

It's USB but at least on the TG4 and earlier models the camera connector was an Olympus special connector plug and standard micro USB cables would not fit.

I couldn't imagine travelling without a laptop. I like to look over the images after each day to see where I've screwed up. I normally can't always tell looking at the small screen on the camera. Never mind the fact that an SD card is so small and easy to lose, There's no shortage of lightweight options like Ultrabooks, MS surface, macbook air etc that are easy to travel with.
I just looked it up. They did change the connector from the TG4 proprietary to the TG5 microB. Good change!

Back
Top Bottom