Backwards Water Entry with rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat Miser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Went diving yesterday and performed backroll off back of boat. Had a flood after my second dive, I'm not certain what the problem was and I will do a build/close check tonight to see if the unit will still hold neg.

What are your thoughts on this type of entry for rEvo specifically and other units generally.

Merry XMAS

Regards

Hi guys,

Went diving yesterday and performed backroll off back of boat. Had a flood after my second dive, I'm not certain what the problem was and I will do a build/close check tonight to see if the unit will still hold neg.

What our your thoughts an this type of entry for rEvo in specifically and other units generally

Regards

Did the loop rip out of your mouth? Where did the water enter?

I backroll in all the time off my rib. Have to hold the DSV in your mouth like they taught you in OW. (plus your mask on with your fingers)

1.Did the loop rip out of your mouth? 2.Where did the water enter?

1. no loop was in my mouth no obvious problems on entry

2, don't know where the water entered.

At first I didn't think it was alot of water I did a couple of barrel rolls to clear it an push it from inhale lung to exhale lung. But then I noticed my RMS drop from 1:40 to 0:25, so signalled buddy there was a problem and bailed out. As I was surfacing I burped the loop once on the way up. Due to the type of boat (i.e no ladder) I had to remove the rEvo and pass it up. I have heard that even if the DSV is shut sometimes a small amount of water can ingress - perhaps this happened after my first dive. I'm not certain what was the cause.

The backwards roll is the only thing new I did.

Merry XMAS

Boat full of rEvos in Truk for a week last year. Backwards roll is the only way in. The only flood was because they didn't close the loop when they took it out to talk with the crew. 100% operator error.

Have you done leak checks since?

My only real flood in my Meg was when I had a massive drysuit leak and was hypothermic. I failed to close the loop when I ditched the unit at the surface to get back in the RIB.

If the counterlungs were too full it can cause the OPV to burp when you hit the water and can let a lot of water ingress at the same time. This was especially problematic on the older units with an OPV on the bottom before they relocated it to the top. Minimum loop volume before rolling off.

If the DSV lever is not fully seated in the dive mode, it can also leak water in that way too. I once managed a flood that way when it was accidentally bumped by my scooter (just a guess there) when I rolled off the boat.

If the counterlungs were too full it can cause the OPV to burp when you hit the water and can let a lot of water ingress at the same time..

This might be the problem I've gotten into the habit of just adding a little air into the loop before giant stride entries, I remember adding air 2-3 times before the first and second roll. @rjack321 I probably didn't have my hand in-front of DSV/Mask either I would have had one hand holding on top of the stage the other on top of the MAV block. I was thinking that its wasn't necessary because I had the gag strap on, but point taken on DSV getting knocked.

Just started the rebuild, my wife is going nuts, because I'm doing it XMAS morning in-front of the tree, whilst kids all 18-21 wake up / turn up to home to collect presents.

I'll take the rEvo for a test run in backyard pool and report. 35 degrees Celsius / 95 degrees Fahrenheit today in Perth.

Hi @Dsix36,

So I rebuilt the rEvo it held a neg for a couple of hours, took the rEvo for a test dive in the pool and water is ingressing when the OPV is firing. I would say I was in the pool for 5 min max and probably had 1 cup of water in the top lung.

Is the OPV adjustable? I'll have a chat to my instructor when he's back from vacation.

But t this stage I fear that I have inadvertently c**cked up the OPV.

Regards

Hi
I don't remember the rEvo but with some ADV built based on a second stage reg, the diagram might fold...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom