Bad Air on Mountain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had my tanks cleaned at Dan's Dive Shop and at Adventure Scuba.. Both stores did a nice job.. no aftertaste...
Does it really make a difference what caused the problem? If you are not happy with the results, get it re done someplace else..

I seem to recall Mitch partying in the streets and calling anyone that would listen when someone reported getting bad air from Bobs on here

wedivebc:
C'mon... what shop is going to pay their tech to do what the 'tank monkey' can do?
I suppose you believe when you take your car to Canadian Tire a mechanic actually works on it.
I don't know and haven't been in the stores mentioned. However, in the local store that does Nitrox, the "tank monkey" who does the cleaning is the OWNER of the store. Maybe it's different in BC? I don't take my car to Canadian Tire, I take to a shop where I know a mechanic will work on it when required (it does not require a licensed mechanic to change oil). IF there was a shop I had such a low opinion of, as it sounds like you do (there is one, but not local to me), I would not go there, for air or anything else.
As far as the initial post, if you suspect a problem with the air or the cleaning, the first stop should be the shop concerned. We're all only human and errors can occur. Maybe the phone rang and it didn't get a second rinse. Most of us, in what ever line of work we're in, take some pride in our work and stand behind it. If there's a problem we want to know first hand, not via the rumour mill. I've actually had an instance where one customer mentioned he heard another customer was having a problem. I hadn't heard anything, but dropped in the next day and sure enough they were. Had told anyone who would listen, instead of picking up the phone. As it turned out a very simple issue, resolved in 30 seconds with a Q-tip.

Groundhog246:
(it does not require a licensed mechanic to change oil.

Nor does it require any special 'certification' to clean a scuba tank.

Count ODI:
I personally have been in the store while my tanks have been O2 cleaned using simple green. They are thourally washed and rinsed and dried so no residual is left in the tank. In MHO you should check your regulators before acusing a store of not cleaning your tanks properly. This kind of mud slinging / politics whatever kind of S*** should be left off scuba board. I hope the owner of the store sues you for slander!!! We are all trying to run a business (with dive sales down).

Hey Count Ole buddy, I'm not sure what you think Teazer said (you quoted him in your post), but if you look again, he didn't slander anyone. Infact, he actually praised Joe at Adventure Scuba. Sue him for being nice maybe??

Knowing you, and who you generally deal with, I think you really didn't mean Teazer, but just quoted his post by accident, and really meant the comment towards the thread initiator.

As for your buddy Match Penalty..... well, 2 posts, zero profile filled out. Take from that what you will. No doubt from his comments we both know him though. The contents of the comments wouldn't be too well known by too many people. She's a small community down here. I think I know who he is. :crafty:

See ya gents. Play nice!

Steve

sparky30:
I've had my tanks cleaned at Dan's Dive Shop and at Adventure Scuba.. Both stores did a nice job.. no aftertaste...
Does it really make a difference what caused the problem? If you are not happy with the results, get it re done someplace else..

It only REALLY matters if you die, right? :)

Beyond that, you just wasted your money, and paying for it somewhere else, again, isn't the answer either.

Did I mention I enjoy the scent of Simple Green?

wedivebc:
Nor does it require any special 'certification' to clean a scuba tank.

Both TDI and IANTD have equipment service technician courses that tank O2 cleaning is a part of. Personally, I don't know how good I would feel about putting O2 in someone's tank who had just cleaned it at home without a "special certification".

Most cleaners will leave a smelly residue if not rinsed thouroughly, especially simple green. I usually do somewhere around 20 minutes of hot water rinse.

lesliemcgillicutty:
In my experience I have had the opportunity to breath on 02 cleaned tanks before and at best the "Simple green" leaves a sort of minty taste to the air.....

This is not at all minty! I was in and spoke breifly to Mitch at the store and he stated that he does not use simple green however used "something just as good but cheaper?"

I will not be returning to have 02 cleanings done there however just wanted everyone know of my experience. I may take the advise given and visit Adventure Scuba, even though it is out of my way.
Simple green is NOT a recommended oxygen cleaner.. so anything could be just as good, if you follow this logic.. The fact is too many shops don't want to spend the money to use the proper cleaners or don't know better and resort to simple detergents.. Send a letter to the manufacture of simple green they will tell you flat out it is not recommended for oxygen cleaning..

There is nothing wrong with using a detergent like simple green to do an INITIAL cleaning (in fact it will extend the life of of the approved cleaners), but it should be then followed up with an approved cleaner like BLUE GOLD, which IS approved for oxygen cleaning..
At wholesale Blue Gold typically runs $25 to $30 a gallon or more..

If you use Blue Gold a thorough rinse is absolutely necessary.. I have never tasted the residue, but it has a built in rust inhibitor which is a mild acid.

both luxfer
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/aluminumoxygen.shtml

and Catalina
http://www.catalinacylinders.com/oxycomp.html

both only specifically recommend ANDI cleaning procedures, and guidlines.

Typically when a store decides they want to become an ANDI facility we do a 2 day technician class (oxygen procedures) and a 1 day Blender program (plus wahever additional training is necessary).. Compare this to the typical programs out there that get the same done in less than a day and you can see the inadequacies of other programs.
Most people who take the program are quite surprised at how bad their procedures were and what risks they didn't realize they had.

Back
Top Bottom