Bad Air ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I recently went on a dive out of Redondo Beach. The day started out well. We entered the water and went to 75 feet. We where in the water for about 7 minutes when my head started to get fuzzy and my stomach was getting sick. I signaled to my buddy that I was not feeling well and need to go up. At about 60 feet I found my self in the air bubbles of other divers and was unable to see my computer and was confused if I was going up or not. I was also getting light headed and felt that I was going to pass out. I was having problems breathing unable to take depth breaths. Trying to keep alert, I past up my 15 foot safety stop and found my self on the surface. ( Not good I know ) when I reached the surface I found my self gasping of air and pulling on my wet suit. After about 3 minutes my buddy came to the surface and helped me to shore. It took about another 15 to 30 minutes before I was OK.
- Was my wet suit to tight ?
- Did I have bad Air ?
I am having my wet suit tailored to eliminate that problem and I have purchased the CO-COP from CO-COP.com, to check my air next time for carbon monoxide. I have done dives to 70 feet before so I do not think It was nitrogen narcosis or I would have felt better as I was ascending.

I am asking for suggestions and if any one is familiar with this and what you think.

Thank you,

Where did you get the fill? Tell the shop this story - it's probably not the air but they need to check their compressor. If there's really a problem with the compressor though it seems likely other divers in your area would be reporting problems.

Wet suits generally aren't too tight because the main danger is it being too tight round the neck.

Did you take any medication? Were you dehydrated, hungry or hungover?

And lastly, is your medical clearance up to date?

My air was last filled on the boat out of Ventura 2 weeks before this dive. I was not on any medication, We had breakfast 2 hours before and had plenty of water before and after the dive. No drinking the day before or the day of the dive.

Being confused while in the midst of other divers bubbles is not that unheard of, so I am not sure that's got something to do with it.

As to what else it may be, I do not have any good guesses with the information you provide. Could be the air, could be the suit - although hard to tell without first-hand info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom