Bad Air??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I just brought my own tanks and got them filled about 3 weeks ago (LP 95's) and am wondering if air ever goes bad? Is it safe to use them this weekend even though the air in them is 3 weeks old?

Thanks for your help

AquaGuy..

Im not quite sure if air can go bad, i would doubt it as some people store tanks for long priods of time, like dive shops. The only way air canbe bad is if it isnt filtered, and has a presence of carbon monoxide.

P.S. All LDS have filterered air...hopefully lol

Never heard of rust or oxidation? Quite an omission for such an accomplished diver AND instructor. Gee, I wonder how that could be...

:rolleyes:

Give it up, kid. O-ring busted ya but good.

But it's been d*mned funny watching you two! :D

He had sad that he was only storing for 3 weeks. No tank should rust/oxidize i that little time. Not to mention filtered air is filtered for moisture also, the ony way to let moisture in is to let unfiltred air in, according to the netdoc regulator.

SSIdiver02 wrote...
He had sad that he was only storing for 3 weeks. No tank should rust/oxidize i that little time. Not to mention filtered air is filtered for moisture also, the ony way to let moisture in is to let unfiltred air in, according to the netdoc regulator.
He asked if air ever goes bad. You, the highly experienced technical diver and instructor, stated that you didn't believe it could.

:rolleyes:

When he said brought 2 tanks i assumed he meant bought and meant new. It was my bad if they were old, albeit the air proll wont go bad in 3 weeks, unless the tanks were already corroded, in which case any answers wold be null. lol.

I wonder how long it would take oxidation to reduce a cylinder full of air to hypoxic levels....

any real experts out there want to weigh in?

AquaGuy wrote...
The tanks I brought were new PST 95's. Thanks for all of the "Positive" responses.
Sorry about that, AquaGuy. See this for why I took exception to this "expert".

Assuming it was good air to begin with, and that the tanks were VIPed, the air should be fine.

I'm sure it's fine, but since I'm just a stranger on the internet you might consider following an-ex president's advice:"Trust, but verify." Get out your or your dive shop's analyzer and see for yourself. swimndive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom