Bad AIR??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like classic sinus congestion (which can happen without you even realising it).

Bad air isnt going to colour anything without you smelling or tasting it.

I just did not understand how my fins had anything to do with this!:idk:

The Fins have often been associated with the production of brown sputum but that is just an interwebs myth. It's the Swedes you have to watch out for. Always wash your hands well after handling them.

Are you a smoker?

Or do you work/live in a polluted environment?

I don't smoke and never have, and I live in a very clean enviroment. After reading more....I think it is nasal related. My right ear give me fits and it remains stopped up for a week or better after every dive. I just never connected the two. With each dive my ear gets better. It is not coming from my lungs.......so I plan to keep diving and hope it gets better as I advance.

That is real cute.....but no dust on my keys. I just did not understand how my fins had anything to do with this!:idk:

:rofl3::rofl3:Don't worry about it, the deadly attributes of diving with split fins is a bit of a running joke. But keep this in mind, 100% of all divers who have ever or will ever use split fins will die. Come to think if 100% of all people who breathe air will too........

I've had this happen on occasion, it's usually just some sinus congestion I'm not even aware I have. If it doesn't go away, I would check with your doctor, it might be an acute chronic sinusitis (ongoing weak sinus infection). I had that, got it nuked by some antibiotics and it stopped.

As an instructor, I like my split fins for one reason: they make me as slow as my students without thinking about going slow.

As an instructor, I like my split fins for one reason: they make me as slow as my students without thinking about going slow.

You're lucky. I usually end up with students who aren't capable of swimming at a speed of under 2kts. If anything i could do with issuing THEM with splits to slow them down!

I've had this happen on occasion, it's usually just some sinus congestion I'm not even aware I have. If it doesn't go away, I would check with your doctor, it might be an acute chronic sinusitis (ongoing weak sinus infection). I had that, got it nuked by some antibiotics and it stopped.

I think you are right about the sinus.....as far as the fins go, I walked into a SCUBA shop and decided to give it a try (go thru the training ) I had NEVER been diving or even been around diving. Clueless! I purchased what my instructor and the other divers where using.Now as I read more and more on this site.....I see a lot of people bashing split fins and laughing at the new guys like me. If they are going to bash me about anything then I think they should at least tell me why. I hope someone will tell me what to buy...so I can be accepted or as good as they are! Now I will have a complex every time I break out my split fins on a dive!! Way to go guys. :rofl3:

I think you are right about the sinus.....as far as the fins go, I walked into a SCUBA shop and decided to give it a try (go thru the training ) I had NEVER been diving or even been around diving. Clueless! I purchased what my instructor and the other divers where using.Now as I read more and more on this site.....I see a lot of people bashing split fins and laughing at the new guys like me. If they are going to bash me about anything then I think they should at least tell me why. I hope someone will tell me what to buy...so I can be accepted or as good as they are! Now I will have a complex every time I break out my split fins on a dive!! Way to go guys. :rofl3:

I think you need to learn that divers take the piss out of each other (how come the OW course never mentions this), but it's usual not meant with any viciousness! (unless you are one of them there Gooey lot of course but they deserve all they get :wink: )

When I worked for my local dive shop and was teaching heavily, split fins were the top seller. It's been a few years, but every time I look at their trip/class photos, it's mostly split fins. I'm not a technical diver (yet), so the diving I know is teaching and diving with groups on vacation. I've used regular blades like Mares Quattro's, their blade/pivot Volo's (I wear Volo Race's in the pool when teaching and on some tropical trips where I don't want to take booties), but I keep coming back to my Apollo Bio Fins. They fit my foot well, are effortless and I could regularly out swim my students and staff who chose to use blade fins. I can even do a modified frog kick and go in reverse with them. Maybe I'll learn why I'm supposed to hate them when I get into tech diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom