Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Commercial diver, maybe, Recreational diver, No. DM is recreational; professional, Yes, but commercial No. And not jsut DM, but all the way to Course Director/Training Director (agency dependent); none of them are commercial tickets. And none of them confer solo diving certification automatically.

Any diving qualification that allows you to charge for your services has to be a commercial licence(in UK not sure about US status), Granted recreational diving is viewed in the commercial industry as having a lower status as they are not required to perform industrial related tasks. Please don't get confused with industrial, and HSE divers these require a far more advanced training than recreational, but I wouldn't expect a recreational dive instructor to ware a Kirby Morgan to teach nor would I expect a recreational diver to have to understand how a Kirby Morgan works as a basic. When I first started as a commercial diver 15 years ago, the old saying of its easy to teach a welder to dive than a diver to weld was still prevalent, I worked in the construction industry performing surveying for under water construction and demolition. But new technology is slowly taking over all areas of work in the industrial related commercial sector by the use of ROV's as HSE consider it to be a safer option.

The diving agency's have tailored there "professional" licences, but still fall under the requirement to satisfy certain commercial standards, otherwise you would not be able to charge for services, and the agency's would not be able to promote courses. Any business charging for diving services whether it be recreational or industrial falls under the local HSE and commercial regulation, as these predate all recreational diving agency's (right back to the US and British Navy divers whom first set them up). As part of that standard anyone with any level of commercial licence must be suitably trained to perform a self rescue(I think that most DM,AI,I, and above wouldn't rely on their group or students under instruction to assist them in an emergency situation), and be suitably equipped for the task they are to perform. Due to these types of recreational commercial licences you are diving solo, as you are not required to have a buddy.

Not true in the US. Even science divers -- inbetween recreational and commercial -- cannot do power tools or construction....it is not they are not "required to perform construction related tasks" but rather than they are not ALLOWED to do so.

Not true in the US. Even science divers -- inbetween recreational and commercial -- cannot do power tools or construction....it is not they are not "required to perform construction related tasks" but rather than they are not ALLOWED to do so.

You need to go back and re-read what I wrote...... a commercial licence has nothing to do with performing industrial tasks underwater, but rather being able to charge for the service you undertake. ie recreational diving instructor.

I personal think that since the first speciality offered in solo diving was nothing more than a response to recreational diving practices, and any agency not wanting to get on the band waggon is committing commercial suicide. Since the most well known of them now offers a course in solo diving, watch the rest quickly offer the same type of course.
But if you look at the recreational diving industry business models, its much more profitable to promote buddy diving, as that's two course charges, two lots of kit, ect...ect..., its just good business.

Diving has changed considerably over the last 20 years, in education, medically and equipment reliability. Its time to stop being the nanny state and allow people to choose, no one has the legal right to prevent a diver diving solo as there is no data anywhere that will back them up that solo diving is more dangerous than buddy diving.

You need to go back and re-read what I wrote...... a commercial licence has nothing to do with performing industrial tasks underwater, but rather being able to charge for the service you undertake. ie recreational diving instructor.
LOL. I read it, you just don't want to believe what I said. There is no commercial license associated with recreational dive instruction in the US, from DM on up to the top levels.

If someone answered my question, then I missed it. Are there any other certification levels that dive ops may accept as being equal to or instead of "Solo?" For example, would a diver with a Master Scuba Diver card be exempt from being required to have a separate Solo card, at least with some ops?

My local dive op doesn't allow solo diving by customers, period. The only person who dives solo is the DM (if said DM gets in the water) who is also solo certified (can't crew the boat if you're not solo certified), usually to deal with an anchor or just going down last and eyeballing everyone sort of thing.

I can tell you that at my local quarry which does allow solo diving, they don't care what certifications you hold. You could be a tech instructor, and they still won't let you dive solo. No solo cert, no solo dive. Period. I've been asked to instabuddy with DMs (and I think one instructor) by the owner (I'm one of the fun diving regulars) because they had no solo cert.

Your all being sold on a solo certification, there is no legal requirement to have to dive with a buddy.
Its business modelling, much better to collect two diving fees than one, sell two courses than one...ect...ect

I would suggest the solo diving is dangerous brigade visit DAN's website and review their diving stats over the last 10 years, and stop trying to force other divers to dive the way they do.

Your all being sold on a solo certification, there is no legal requirement to have to dive with a buddy.
Its business modelling, much better to collect two diving fees than one, sell two courses than one...ect...ect

I would suggest the solo diving is dangerous brigade visit DAN's website and review their diving stats over the last 10 years, and stop trying to force other divers to dive the way they do.

You're missing the point. Many people get the solo/self-reliant certification because it's required by some dive operators...not because there's a (nonexistent) legal requirement to dive with a buddy if you don't have the certification.

For my area...it's common for operators of dive sites to have that requirement. I could show up with proof of 100+ logged dives, a full redundant gear setup (including air source), and a viable plan to execute a safe solo dive, but they wouldn't let me hit the water unless I had that card.

I would be perfectly content getting that knowledge and experience along the way by spending time with experienced divers (ex. Went for a boat dive with my OW instructor this past weekend), as opposed to just buying a solo card once I hit 100 dives.

The reality of it is that when the time comes... if I want to dive solo locally, I need to buy the certification.

You're missing the point. Many people get the solo/self-reliant certification because it's required by some dive operators...not because there's a (nonexistent) legal requirement to dive with a buddy if you don't have the certification.
In some areas, there are requirements for a buddy. Years ago I was working as a DM for a class at one of our lakes in Colorado. I was doing some setup work on my own when the rangers came by to talk about something. If they had realized I was out there without a buddy, I would have been fined $100.

In some areas, there are requirements for a buddy. Years ago I was working as a DM for a class at one of our lakes in Colorado. I was doing some setup work on my own when the rangers came by to talk about something. If they had realized I was out there without a buddy, I would have been fined $100.
At a local underwater park, no solo diving is allowed. Though the person who builds the artificial structure often dives alone. Go figure. Max depth is 40 feet, so easy to do a swimming ascent to the surface if you run out because you pay zero attention to your SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom