Bad course recovered after complaint to LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a stand up operation, to do that.

I don't know how Bamboo Reef works their instruction, but around here, most instructors are independent contractors. The shop owner may never have seen them teach. Providing feedback like yours can help a shop decide whether to retain someone on staff or not.

That's a stand up operation, to do that.

I don't know how Bamboo Reef works their instruction, but around here, most instructors are independent contractors. The shop owner may never have seen them teach. Providing feedback like yours can help a shop decide whether to retain someone on staff or not.

They have been around for a while and they have a good reputation.

A few comments for information, Bamboo Reef is SSI, meaning that unlike PADI an instructor or DiveCon HAS to be affiliated with a dive shop to be considered "active." So if an instructor is not playing nice they lose their affiliation if they get fired, and I would imagine they would have a hard time finding work at another SSI shop.

The other comment is that SSI used to have (not sure if they still do) a non-compete policy. A dive shop can not affiliate with SSI if there is another SSI shop within a certain mileage. I can't remember the exact number but I think it was 50 miles? Bamboo Reef got away with this by forming a chain of four stores (now three), although Monterey is far enough away they could probably be independent if they wanted.
Assuming that rule is still in effect, if an instructor gets fired, they either have to certify under someone else (PADI, NAUI), move, or find a different job! Anybody here current and active that can confirm or correct that?

Nice op! A little OT- Doesn't Mythbusters use this shop?

Yes, they do. Their Monterey store has a bunch of pictures of the mythbusters. Their SF shop is not that far from them either. I've also seen Bamboo Reef VIP stickers on their tanks in some episodes.

^ . The instructor probably won't be found working for them anymore.

FWIW, I personally would not have fired the instructor for this, assuming that other experiences were good. I would have a very direct talk with them, and monitor them, especially after some time has passed to see if they fell back into sloppy habits. After all, everyone has bad days, no student is perfect (as I well know). But that's just me -- I don't run a dive shop.

- Bill

Apparently, two bad days. If the "instructor" just tells me to jump in and figure it out, I'm going to say "game over", go waste someone else's time. Whether it's a fireable offense is debatable, but after you did it on both days and waited in the water, it would be at my shop.

Back
Top Bottom