BAD experience with Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wirelessboy

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a solid online site where I can purchase scuba gear. I just got some booties from Scuba.com, they told me the wrong size to get & now they want me to pay for shipping both ways even though they gave me bad advice! Unbelievable. Thanks!

Do you not have an LDS nearby? Always best to go in, try on various sizes and even fins like mine did so I get a feel of how comfy or tight they can be. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. You can always try scubatoys.com; they respond to emails fast and offer tons of advise for the novice and expert alike.

Go inside a dive shop and try on a pair. It is better to spend a couple extra bucks and get something that fits. Plus the dive shop will appreciate the business, they need it, and eventually you will need them.

Boots are a hard thang to by for the first time on line. get the right fet and the fen too. good luck.

wirelessboy:
I need a recommendation for a solid online site where I can purchase scuba gear. I just got some booties from Scuba.com, they told me the wrong size to get & now they want me to pay for shipping both ways even though they gave me bad advice! Unbelievable. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you expect them to give you the correct size, in so much as they could not actually see your feet? Isn't that the reason that we try things on before buying them?

If you bought blind, then it's hard to blame the store. At least so it seems to me.

The below is copied right from scuba.com web page. Your fault...not the internet company that clearly states the policy.

If my order isn't what I expected, will there be any difficulty in making a return or exchange?
This is not a problem at all... All unused items may be returned or exchanged within 30 days of purchase. Additional shipping charges will be assessed on all exchange transactions. Any item that has been placed in water or shows wear will be considered used. Please fill out the RMA form that you find enclosed with your order, or you can find it at http://www.scuba.com/rma.asp, and return it with your product so that we may know what you want us to do.

For me, anything with a size is an automatic LDS purchase.

Joe

On stuff like booties or a wetsuit, definately size is a factor and different brands sizes differ.

For example, in one bootie brand I've got, I wear a 10. In another I wear a 12. If I ordered them I'd gotten messed up on them. An important reason to get what fits, which usually means purchasing at LDS

Also important with booties is how they fit with your fins. Take your fins with you and make sure the booties your purchase are not to bulky to fit in your fins. This is true especially if you go to a thicker soled bootie on your new purchase.

Getting to your vacation spot it not the time to learn your booties don't fit in your fins

As others have said - if its something where fit is important: gloves, booties, hood, wetsuit etc nothing beats the LDS.

I've noticed that trying on a range hoods and booties of the same size from different manufacturers - or even from the same one, will result in a range of fits from too loose to too tight.

May cost a bit more but you get something that works and your contribute to the local dive economy.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Sorry, I have to agree with everyone else, when it comes to booties. gloves and wetsuits, you're taking your chances by ordering online. Sizes also vary between brands and sometimes between models of the same brand. If you're really, really cheap, try the specific model at the Local Diveshop (and bring your fins as Mike_S suggests, to be sure they fit your booties). And if the savings are really significant to justify doing so, then purchase it online. I usually wait till the LDS has a sale to purchase these - gotta support my instructor/diveshop.
My favorite online shops are scubatoys, leisure-pro and divers direct, but I believe they all would have charged you for the shipping (both ways) in this situation.
Dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom