Bad photographers at SCUBA Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I want to thank everyone who thought about and responded to my post. Even the negative ones. I also wanted to remind everyone about my opening statement that I really respect older divers and think that most of them are GREAT examples for us as stewards of the oceans. I was NOT at all ragging on older divers. The folks we had trouble with on this trip just happened to be senior citizens. Like other posts said, there are bad photographers of ALL ages.
I am going to take the advice from several of you and be much more proactive and vocal with other divers if I see crap going on. If DMs will not intervene, I will. Thanks.

Whether you takes photos or not, please just respect and love the reef and the wildlife and be very thankful for all the beauty that are the reasons we all dive.
As we say in Costa Rica, Feliz Ano Nuevo to ALL our fellow divers everywhere !

First, I want to thank everyone who thought about and responded to my post. Even the negative ones. I also wanted to remind everyone about my opening statement that I really respect older divers and think that most of them are GREAT examples for us as stewards of the oceans. I was NOT at all ragging on older divers.
Then why did you mention their ages at all? Why did you add pejoratives like "geezer" to your account?

Touchy.... Maybe because with age comes experience and teaching others how to do things right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First of all, most of these people are NOT photographers...just people with cameras.

Spot on!!! Just like there are divers and people who strap on tanks. I watched a Dutch woman on Bonaire swim directly through and totally destroy two huge gorgonians before I could get her attention. Her husband, when we got back onshore, had the gall to ask how I enjoyed my dive. I said it was fine except watching his wife destroy the gorgonians. They chuckled and she said she always is more careful. Yeah, Right. And I should believe you why?

The reason I pointed out Dutch is because every Dutch tourist I ran into had the attitude that they owned the island and other tourists should just go home. That wasn't the case before Bonaire gave up their independance.

Bonaire has been under the control of other countries continually since 1526, when Spain appointed a commander to rule the island.

I've been diving since '97 and have seen some horrible behavior underwater....

I love taking video and getting close-up footage of marine life ! But I also film in 60fps so I only need to be near my subject for a short time then back off before it becomes uncomfortable - so others may enjoy and more importantly so the sea-life isn't spooked !

I have a NO TOUCH policy and have to say that I have seen NUMEROUS non-photographer divers touch, mangle, taunt, and manhandle marine life. It really pisses me off and think that regardless of a divers "experience" it is selfish and harmful. These people are like overgrown children and give divers a bad reputation ! I hate seeing fins smashing coral ! FIRST SIGN - MOST times I see someone putting on gloves before a dive in the Caribbean - they plan to touch something !!!!!!! Not cool !!!!!! Why else do you need gloves ? I'm sure someone had a legit reason but most just want to touch stuff !

You don't need to be rude or invasive to get close-up footage ! I'm no pro photographer - and many divers more experienced then me ask how I get so close to the fish without them being spooked. The trick is - don't be spooky ! Animals of all kind respond instinctively - if you don't approach them with respect - they won't let you near them - and don't over stay your welcome ! And the ones that are spooked - I watch / film then swimming away - and capture the beauty of the animal. If something isn't spooked but just simply cruzing - I might follow it for a few kicks to appreciate its movement - but I refuse to "chase" anything ! I might kick hard to get my way to it - but approach it slowly and never chase it !

Here is my video from my last trip (Dec 2013).

http://youtu.be/JpVsWRA02sU

LEAVE BUBBLES TAKE PICTURES !

Why do people have to touch !?

Doesn't matter I you have a camera or not - don't touch and allow others to enjoy !

Sorry if Im "rambling" because it seems like so many other people just don't care ! But it ruins my dive sometimes to see this happen ! Not cool !

I've been diving since '97 and have seen some horrible behavior underwater....

I love taking video and getting close-up footage of marine life ! But I also film in 60fps so I only need to be near my subject for a short time then back off before it becomes uncomfortable - so others may enjoy and more importantly so the sea-life isn't spooked !

I have a NO TOUCH policy and have to say that I have seen NUMEROUS non-photographer divers touch, mangle, taunt, and manhandle marine life. It really pisses me off and think that regardless of a divers "experience" it is selfish and harmful. These people are like overgrown children and give divers a bad reputation ! I hate seeing fins smashing coral ! FIRST SIGN - MOST times I see someone putting on gloves before a dive in the Caribbean - they plan to touch something !!!!!!! Not cool !!!!!! Why else do you need gloves ? I'm sure someone had a legit reason but most just want to touch stuff !
Fire coral. Hydroids. Jellyfish. That's three good reasons to wear gloves right there.

I started diving in SoCal, where there is a very active "yes touch" policy. After all, you have to touch your lobsters if you're gonna catch them. People out here spearfish and harvest scallops.

As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't harm the critter, touching shouldn't be a problem. I've fondled eels and octopus, caressed turtles and sharks, petted wrasses and remoras, taunted damselfish (not that hard with their bad attitudes), and swatted spanish hogfish. None were the worse for wear. Just like a no-glove policy, I believe a no-touch policy is overkill. But because many divers don't know what's good to touch and what's bad to touch, and because many divers believe gloves give them license to touch anything and everything, we have such broad policies in place in many areas. Just be thankful that no dive popular locales have banned cameras yet, though it's definitely been suggested.

Well, my views on spear fishing and grabbing lobster are the same as my views on hunting. If its for human consumption then it's ok in my book. Seafood is my favorite !!!!! nothing better than a 6lb lobster (had one in Cape May NJ). Your reasons for gloves - totally valid ! But the touching of marine life for kicks..... Listen, I've seen videos of shark that were so used to divers they were looking for contact - and remora / sea turtle that were the same way - no problem ! I'm talking about the people that corner the animal - grab at it - pull on it - spook it. No good ! If it is trying to leave - why corner it ? Just not cool ! If its not dinner - and doesn't want contact from you - leave it alone !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

I just don't see the point in cornering something and forcing yourself on it - maybe you can explain it so I can understand.

Mossman brings up a interesting point. We were in Wakatobi last May. We were diving with a really nice young couple from Florida. While on a night dive we came across a turtle, she instantly swam up to it and started petting it. I gently moved up behind her and gave a lil tug on her fin. She turned and I gave her a wag of the finger. I felt a bit bad about admonishing her, so as soon as we got on the boat I explained why I stopped her. Her response was, in Florida where she dove, the practice was commonplace. It's hard to chastise someone when the practice is encouraged in their native diving area, or dive op. That's all she knew, till we chatted. Having never dove there myself who am I to argue the practice? (In Florida). Any ways, we had a great talk and I gave her my reasoning as to why not to touch. As far as gloves are concerned, I agree that in a marine park or protected area, they should not be used. I think it could lend to some bad grabbing habits. If you don't have them on, you're probably not going to grab as much :) Of course...I'm talking tropical waters...LOL. Like Mossy, I'm wearing serious gloves in SoCal... BRRRRR!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom