Bad photographers at SCUBA Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any physical contact or harassment, regardless if the Sea Turtle(any of the six species) is dead or alive , is against the law without federal permit in the United States. I will be glad to contact a marine officer to enforce the law if someone is engaged in these activities with any of our endangered wildlife. Old school disregard that I learned and practiced is no longer acceptable. I like what Scoober said.. Happy New Year from the fun governor

Any physical contact or harassment, regardless if the Sea Turtle(any of the six species) is dead or alive , is against the law without federal permit in the United States. I will be glad to contact a marine officer to enforce the law if someone is engaged in these activities with any of our endangered wildlife. Old school disregard that I learned and practiced is no longer acceptable. I like what Scoober said.. Happy New Year from the fun governor
Do you have a cite for this law? I know the endangered species act prohibits the taking of sea turtles, but what federal law prohibits physical contact?

"Harass is defined as actions that create the likelihood of injury to listed species to such an extent as to significantly disrupt normal behavior patterns which include, but are not limited to, breeding, feeding, or sheltering."

I think my complaint falls directly in line with FWS definition of harass - and you shouldn't harass anything - regardless if it is endangered or not:

"my protest was specifically regarding manhandling, grabbing, and intimidating the animals that clearly do not want contact. Cornering and touching something that Is attempting to flee."

Harass is Defined in section 9
(6:55 in the video)

http://youtu.be/Y6wJpGO8j4Q

Harass defined again (Section 9)
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/virginiafield/EndSpec_FedAct.html

All of the ESA sections:
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/laws-policies/esa.html

And back to my original statement - most times what I see are:
People with cameras are busy handling the camera - hands are busy.

I see more non-photographers harassing marine-life then anything else. Although regardless if you have a camera or not - I don't care - your certification to dive has trained you to
"Consider your Interactions – Don't touch, handle, feed or ride on aquatic life. These actions may stress the animal, interrupt natural behaviors or provoke aggressive behaviors in a normally nonaggressive species."

Here is an article from Hawaii, and the reason for not touching dead is to lesson the risk of people using turtle products for commercial use.

[h=1]What are the laws protecting sea turtles?[/h]Answer ID 164 | Published 04/13/2002 09:50 PM | Updated 04/19/2005 11:24 AM
Where can I find out what the exact laws for protecting sea turtles are, and what the penalties are for breaking those laws?

The following information is from the NOAA Fisheries - National Marine Fisheries Service Office of Protected Resources web site
Redirect - Office of Protected Resources - NOAA Fisheries
PROTECTION OF SEA TURTLES

All six species of sea turtles in the U.S. are protected under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 Redirect - Office of Protected Resources - NOAA Fisheries (you can go to this site of the ESA which also features a link to the text of the complete act, and the section on penalties and enforcement.)

Through interagency coordination under Section 7 of the ESA, sea turtles are protected by ensuring that Federal actions will not jeopardize the continued existence of the species. Successful consultations have been conducted with the Minerals Management Service for oil and gas activities, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for dredging activities, the U.S. Navy for explosives testing, the Environmental Protection Agency for the designation of dredged material disposal sites, and many other Federal agencies for activities ranging from nuclear power plant construction to scientific research. One of the most important ways NMFS acts to protect sea turtles is through requiring trawl fishermen to use Turtle Excluder Devices while fishing.

Because sea turtles nest on land, responsibility for their conservation is shared between NMFS and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). For more information contact them at:
National Sea Turtle Coordinator
US Fish and Wildlife Service
6620 Southpoint Drive South, Suite 310
Jacksonville, Florida 32216

From: Hawaii’s Marine Protected Species – handbook for ocean users

"All sea turtles in Hawai‘i are protected under the Endangered Species Act (see above) and wildlife laws of the State of Hawai‘i (Title 13, Chapter 124, Hawaii Administrative Laws – posted online at http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/rules/Chap124.pdf
These laws prohibit harassing, capturing (possessing or removing), harming or killing, sea turtles. Under state law, violation is a misdemeanor criminal offense, punishable by a find up to $2,000 and/or 30 days in jail.
Research on sea turtles both in captivity and in the wild requires federal permits. It is important to remember that sea turtles, both alive and dead are protected. If you are lucky enough to see a sea turtle in the wild, do not attempt to touch or grab it. The recommended distance for observation of sea turtles in the wild is 50 yards. Please remember that feeding, touching, or attempting to ride them could cause distress." If you see them on the beach, please do not disturb them, turtles often haul out to rest. Do not allow dogs to approach them.

"You may report violations of either law to: NOAA Fisheries Enforcement at (808) 541-2727 (statewide) or the NOAA Fisheries Enforcement Hotline at 1(800)853-1964, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or call Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement at (808) 587-0077. Report nesting or basking activities, and dead, sick, injured or stranded turtles to the National Marine Fisheries Service Honolulu Laboratory at (808) 983-5730 Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m."

Was this answer helpful?
Rate answer 1 of 5 Rate answer 2 of 5 Rate answer 3 of 5 Rate answer 4 of 5 Rate answer 5 of 5

[h=2]Answers others found helpful[/h]

Some turtles like being touched...

Turtle should have bitten that guy's hand off!

I wouldn't do it, but I can sorta,kinda understand the people who reach out to touch a turtle- but to grab it and hold it? Absolutely ridiculous.

The view hog is nothing more than under the water than above water. Personally, I am tired of all the me first crap. Call people out on it, in public, and in their face. Whilst snow skiing at a lift area on xmas a guy tries to pass and comes barreling by me on a single track. He was not in control and going to take me out, before he could I stuck my arm out and he went down. After exchanging a few words he stayed way behind me. He got the message.
What is a view hog

Back
Top Bottom