Bad scuba advice you've received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's rare that happens in my experience if properly weighted. You might end that way if you end at 500 psi in your tank however while the tank has more air in it you can't do thar without having to much air in the suit.
So some assume, if over weighted you have to much air in the b/c.

With double 133s I'm starting a dive about 25 lbs negative in my drysuit, if I managed all of that with my drysuit im pretty sure I’d resemble a blimp and the amount of gas in my feet would be comical.
Doubles are a world of their own, especially big ones

Years ago I was told by many to change the battery in my computer yourself and don’t worry about getting the kit with an o-ring. Big mistake, my computer flooded. I’ve seen it happen to other people who followed that advice.

So some assume, if over weighted you have to much air in the b/c.

If you are properly waited you will be neutral with 500 psi in your tank, empty BC and minimal air in drysuit if diving one. Well you have about a 6 pound swing from full to empty tank. Which means at the start of the dive you are adding 6 pounds of positive bouyancy to compensate.

Your saying add that 6 pounds to your drysuit. Yes you can do, I've played with it the air distribution in the drysuit is over a much larger area then in your BC so more drag=more effort, higher sac and possible CO2 buildup. Plus feeling like the Michelin man is rather uncomfortable.

Drysuit is for comfort, bc for bouyancy at the end of the dive the only way you shouldn't have air in your BC is if your tank is at 500 and you have just enough air in suit for comfort, which at that point you can say your suit is used for bouyancy.

I don't reach that point because I'm never still underwater with 500 psi unless the tank is going for hydro/vis and I'm sucking it down looking at fish in 4 feet of water.

If you are properly waited you will be neutral with 500 psi in your tank, empty BC and minimal air in drysuit if diving one. Well you have about a 6 pound swing from full to empty tank. Which means at the start of the dive you are adding 6 pounds of positive bouyancy to compensate.

Your saying add that 6 pounds to your drysuit. Yes you can do, I've played with it the air distribution in the drysuit is over a much larger area then in your BC so more drag=more effort, higher sac and possible CO2 buildup. Plus feeling like the Michelin man is rather uncomfortable.

Drysuit is for comfort, bc for bouyancy at the end of the dive the only way you shouldn't have air in your BC is if your tank is at 500 and you have just enough air in suit for comfort, which at that point you can say your suit is used for bouyancy.

I don't reach that point because I'm never still underwater with 500 psi unless the tank is going for hydro/vis and I'm sucking it down looking at fish in 4 feet of water.
Well I’m still new at all of this so you do you :wink:

What bad scuba advice have you received? (Please omit watercooler talk found here on SB; let's focus on actual suggestions found in the wild.)

"You should teach."

"You should teach."
Worse than that, the Ego up play “you are a natural at this, and you love it. You should spend millions of dollars you already made and become a part of the SCUBA industry”, as if there was such a thing.

"If you are properly waited you will be neutral with 500 psi in your tank, empty BC and minimal air in drysuit if diving one."

You will be neutral with 150 psi, in case you need the last air in your tank.

You can do quiet a long decompression stop at 10 feet with 300 psi, which will be a very unpleasant experience when you are underweighted.

BCD is for bouyancy, follow you on that one!

Another one, 20 feet of line is enough for a SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom