Bad scuba advice you've received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With double 133s I'm starting a dive about 25 lbs negative in my drysuit, if I managed all of that with my drysuit im pretty sure I’d resemble a blimp and the amount of gas in my feet would be comical.
I don’t wear my seals that tight and I would blow a seal first.

I am gonna tell PETA.

DW

Why? The seal might enjoy it

This is about bad info received, not bad info you supply:)

That is fact
🤣

Yeah, it's a community effort to blame equipment for lack of skills propagating urban myths.

Gotta do a LOT of trimix diving!
how many is a lot -id do 80 trimix dives a year the cost is irrelevant to clarity of thought

Yeah, it's a community effort to blame equipment for lack of skills propagating urban myths.
I prefer a back plate set up because it adjusts to me not the other way around and if I need to change a part I’m not stuck with a proprietary source.

Not to overexplain a joke, but the OPs question was asking about "bad scuba advice YOU have received". A number of posters have felt the need to explain to me that some people do a lot of trimix diving.

I stand by my joke. It was bad advice for ME!

:D

One of my pet peeves in the dive industry is an obsession from some to use as little weight as possible. This can lead to divers under weighting themselves with an inability to do a safe ascent or hold a safety stop (or deco stop) when their tank is empty and more buoyant at the end of a dive. The focus should be on proper weighting. I would MUCH rather be a couple pounds overweighted than a couple pounds underweighted.

I prefer a back plate set up because it adjusts to me not the other way around and if I need to change a part I’m not stuck with a proprietary source.

I have used jacket BC's (and BP/W) setups for decades and I have NEVER thought I bought the wrong part or was stuck with a proprietary source. I never had your issues because I just buy right from the get go. I did buy once a Mares BC when I first came to Libya and wanted to dive but I didn't have my own equipment with me at that time (Scubapro and Atomic kit) so I bought a Mares BC that didn't fit as well as my Scubapro's and didn't last as long (that's expected) but that was buying under extenuating circumstances.

Not every single BC out there is a good buy or a good fit, you have to find what is good for you just like when you buy clothing. Not every business suit fits me right even when it is in my size. I have to try several on and decide which one to buy based on fit, comfort and appropriate for purpose (business suits for everyday business meetings and some for formal occasions and some for exceptional events, etc.)

Making a blanket statement saying that one type is better than the other in all occasions for all people is just simply wrong and not true. I have no doubt that your choice of BP/W was/is right for you and that you know what you are doing but that's for you based on your own circumstances but not for others.

Back
Top Bottom