Baggage quesition for Airline Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon once bubbled...
To me, having 2 seperate bags just doubles my chance of something getting lost.

In my opinion, having one bag means you have a greater chance of losing all of your stuff rather than halfo of your stuff.

My regulator, mask, fins, computers and bc ALWAYS travel with me in the cabin. After American Airlines delayed my luggage last year and ruined half of a course I was taking I make sure that there is ZERO chance for the airlines to lose my most important gear.

I've read several threads concerning what gear can/cannot be taken as free checked baggage. I just got off the phone with both Delta and Air Jamaica, and they each have the same story. In fact, I called Delta 2x, just to confirm.

Two checked bags are allowed, and one can be scuba gear, EXCEPT tanks are always considered extra baggage and are ALWAYS subject to an $80 charge, regardless. This is Delta. AJ did not have a comment on the tanks, and I didn't specifically ask, because I don't intend to take tanks to Bonaire.

Let me know if you've heard anything contrary.

gbrandon once bubbled...
Thanks.. I think im going to try it with both bags attached and then ask. worst case scenario is they make me seperate them. Seeing as I already have a luggage id tag on each one, it wouldnt be a big deal.

I too thought about the weight issue with the bag. Im guessing the weight will be about 65lbs combined both bags. I will weigh the bag before I leave for the airport. Im planning on travel to tropical climates, so It shouldnt be that heavy (ie, no drysuit, undergarment, etc)

Thanks for all the replies!

Geoff

I wonder what you're carrying to the tropics that amounts to 65 pounds - or more if you include your carry-on.

I've been travelling for years to the tropics with 35 to 40 pounds of belongings, including all toilet articles, a camera, and clothing; 2 or 3 books; and all dive gear except tanks and weights. I bring no spare dive gear (except prescription mask and an extra bathing suit and diveskin), assuming I can rent if some of my gear goes south. Prior to 9/11, I could usually fly all-carryon.

:D :rolleyes: :eek: :wink:

I posted the Southwest Airlines joke under Scuba humor. If your easily offended, you might not enjoy it as much as I did.

I called Continental, the baggage weight limit is: 50lbs for domestic
70lbs for internatl.
40lbs for your carry-on :eek:ut:
Whoa, that would be a mighty hefty carry-on!!

Diving is fun,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom