Bahamas (July/Aug)- Exposure Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparg93

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a newbie, so apologies for a simple question :)

What is the recommended exposure (wetsuit, gloves, boots) suit for liveboard diving in the Bahamas..i'm going to the Hogsty reef.

Thanks!

Depends on a lot of things. We were out around San Sal, and never saw the need for more than a skin and a shorty, and this was in late April! For July/August? I can't imagine you will need more, but then I know people who need a 5m full suit in 82 degree water, or they get cold. It all depends on your tolerance and the conditions you encounter. I will say that it is easier to take it off if it's too much, than to put it on if you need it and don't have it with you. But don't forget that dive skin! My wife accidentally left my skin out of our luggage on our last trip to Cozumel (I put it in, and she took it out, thinking it was an extra suit I had packed by mistake), and I sorely missed it all trip long.:shakehead: Good luck! Woody

currently I don't wear a skin, is something i should buy if diving multiple dives over 10 days? Any you recommend?

I wore a 3mm in the pool (72 degrees) and was more then fine...

Would you recommend bringing the 3mm and skin?

Whoops, forgot about the rest of your question. Hood, gloves and boots? A hood is often recommended to help augment the exposure protection of your suit, but this is really a personal choice. I usually don't bother, but my wife won't dive without her cap. As to gloves, I was trained to not use gloves a long time ago, and you can find lots of debate here on this. In general, they are not much use unless you are wreck diving, in my opinion, but then again I am a photographer, and gloves really get in my way when handling my camera. Others insist on them. And as for boots, I use open heeled fins and use the best hard soled boots I can get, which has paid me dividends so many times I can't even count them. You want the real, molded hard sole boots, not those slippery like things with the flexible rubber soles. If you use full foot fins, then of course you will want rubber socks instead of boots, but do use something. I have seen a lot of people who get stung or nipped around their bare ankles, and pack hydrocortisone cream for them in my first aid kit. Again, good luck. Woody

currently I don't wear a skin, is something i should buy if diving multiple dives over 10 days? Any you recommend?

I wore a 3mm in the pool (72 degrees) and was more then fine...

Would you recommend bringing the 3mm and skin?

The skin has multiple uses, and I won't dive without one (except when sabotaged by wifey:shocked2:) It serves as excellent sunburn protection, and you can leave it on during surface intervals where you really don't want to do that with a full suit. It provides considerable protection against stinging things, including stuff that I didn't know had stinging power.:shakehead: (I know you are supposed to stay out of reach of these things, but sometimes currents and such conspire to push you where you didn't intend to go...) As to which kind- I like the Henderson Hotskins, but then again I sprang for their premium line of suit, which is better made and of thicker lycra. I( think they discontinued it, however? Not sure what is available now, but get something that fits you well and of good quality. It will also help you slide on your wetsuit if you put the skin on first. As I said, lots of reasons. And having both the skin and the wetsuit sure won't hurt. As I said before, you can take it off if too much, but can't put it on if you don't have it. :wink: Woody

thanks Woody, great advice!

Right now I'm trying to put through a checklist of items to bring...any recommendations?

Here is what i have so far:
Fins
Goggles
Snorkel
BC and weights
1st/2nd stage
Wet suit (3mm) + skin
Boots
Gloves (thin material)
hood (not sure yet)
Wet Suit shampoo/BC cleaner
Zipper conditioner
Anti fog for goggles
Lights (may rent)
Camera (may rent)
Sunscreen
Bathing Suit
Shorts/t-shirts
Sandals
Long sleeve shirt
bug spray - ?

Just came back from the Bahamas and I never needed more than a skin. The water was around 80 on every dive. I would pack a skin though to avoid jellies and accidental encounters with fire coral. Even the coldest natured folks on our boat never used more than a full 3 mil. I would recommend a pair of neoprene socks under booties to avoid pesky blisters on your feet. You may want to wear gloves if you rely heavily on the anchor line to avoid contact with fire coral and they do come in handy on wreck dives. I don't use the anchor line, but I know some of my newer buddies find it easier to ascend and descend holding on.
If you are going on a Blackbeard's trip I would also recommend taking some spring clips to hang out dive gear to dry, a cushion for the seats up on deck, a water bottle they only give you a small plastic cup, extra batteries for lights, and computers, a good hat, waterproof sunscreen, seasick meds just in case, 2 or more bathing suits, a couple of towels and about half the clothes you think you need . You may want to purchase a tank light for night diving so you don't have to use the cylum sticks, make sure you have a small dive light for daytime diving to look for critters and a big one for night diving. I heart Blackbeard's! Have a great time. :D

Dude, don't take your weights. It will put you over weight in your luggage and they have them on the boat!:crafty:

I was fine in a 3 mm shorty off New Providence in May, but it was just two dives. For multiple days I would have gone with a 3 mm full. If you're unsure about the hood, maybe consider a beanie? IMO much more comfortable, compact and to me seems to still make a big difference vs. the bare head. You probably don't need the bugspray unless you're doing inland stuff. Also I personally wouldn't bother with the wetsuit/bc cleaner, you can do that when you get home. I've never used a zipper conditioner on a wetsuit, is it a big help?

Cheers,
Lilla

I also wouldn't bring wetsuit cleaner or BC cleaner. You can deal with that when you get back. You leave your gear set up on the tank all week. Sometimes it rains and provides a nice freshwater rinse. I always wait until I get back home before washing my gear. I would definitely purchase lights before leaving, I use my small light on almost every dive to poke into holes on the reef/wreck.

Back
Top Bottom