Bahamas wetsuit considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron63

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need some help folks and figured this was the place to get it. My wife and I are going to Freeport, Bahama after Christmas to celebrate our anniversary. While there we plan on taking one day and diving. We will be doing four dives total. Now for my question. What can we expect for water temperatures? I am trying to decide whether I need to take my 3mm full suit or just a shorty. My wife dove in Nassua a couple of years ago in June and was fine in just a dive skin. She tends to be a little more warm natured than I am though. I've dove Panama in December wearing just a skin and was fine. Of course Panama is farther south than what the Bahamas are. Thanks for the help.

Ron

I haven't been to the Bahamas specifically, but I'd say since you already have a 3mm full suit, and a tendancy to get a bit cold, take that! I don't think you have to worry about being too warm! I'm taking my 3mm full to Jamaica. I took my 5mm to Maui last Nov but I personally found that a bit much for 78-80 degree water. That's the thing... it's personal preference. I dove with a guy in Maui who wore a dry suit shell !!

I love my full polypro fleece suit all year round in the caribbean

i'm cold natured, and i dive with a full 3mil suit and i do not get hot in it, even in say 82 degree water. it's great for me. especially if you're doing several dives that day, you'll still be comfy on the last dive.

Was in Bahamas recently, water temp was a constant 27 centigrate. I was diving in a 5mm full suit. Was doing about 4-5 dives a day. During about the 4th dive was starting to feel a tiny bit cold, but not too bad.

There were others diving in 3mm shorties and few diving without wetsuits at all, so I guess it really depends on what you feel comfortable in.

I would take my 3/5/3 fullsuit.
By then the waters should be 75 or 76f
(the coldest it gets before it starts to warm up again).
Who are you diving with??

Thanks for the info. It seems my hunch to take my 3mm fullsuit may be the best decision after all. Tavi asked who we will be diving with? We will be diving with Sun Oddysey out of Freeport. We were going to dive with UNEXSO since they operate out of the resort we will be staying in, but they only offer a one tank afternoon dive and I want to get in a two tank afternoon dive. Since we will only be diving one day I want to get as much bottom time as possible while in the Bahamas. I'm sure the water quality, ie visability, will be much better than our Gulf Coast Florida water! Looking forward to the trip and have started my countdown.

As mentioned, the water temperatures can be in the low to mid 70's that time of year. The second boat dive can start to feel pretty cool at that range. I dive the Caribbean every February, started with a 3mm shorty, then went to a 3mm full suit, and now dive with the 3mm full suit plus a 3mm vest under that. If the water is cooler than about 77-78 degrees, it's easy to get chilled by the second dive. Diving cold is not fun.:shakehead

Funny thing about diving cold water, when you are young it does not seem to matter much but as you get older you don't want the cold water anymore. I used to dive Puget Sound in a 1/4" wet suit year-round and never minded the cold. Now I dive the Florida springs in the summer in a 3mm suit and start to get cold by the forth dive. Of course I'm not as "tough" as I used to be. Old age has made me soft...and comfortable!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom