Bahamas wetsuit considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC:
We dove the Bahamas in October with no wet suit and it was fine.

That was October......... Since then it has been dropping about 1 degree each week. Should get to about 75f before it starts warming back up.

Wear a full 3mm suit AND bring a hood just in case

My wife and I were diving in Nassau last December. I just checked my dive log and found that at most of our 7m dives were around 79 degrees (f). My dive to 27m was an average 75 degrees (f). I always wear a 3mm shorty and in this case even after multiple dives I was warm enough.

I just got back from the Bahamas and I wore a 3 mm full suit for our dives. Everyone else on the boat had a 5 mm full suit. I was freezing the whole time the water temp was 78 degrees. I recomend the full suit.

Last Dec (10-17) waters were 79-80F. I dove all week on Caribbean Explorer: Long, Cat, and Conception islands. Air temp was 75-85. I dove in my 5/4 Bare Velocity but by the end of the week (20+ dives) I got cold and added a vest/hood.

In September, the water is 88-90F, in October the water drops to 85-88, in end December/January, you can expect water temps ranging from 72-78. Brrr, rather chilly for me but some might consider that warm. I would dig out my heavy 4/3 suit for those temps.

Hi Caribbeandiver,

Where in the Bahamas do you dive that scuba water temps in Sep are 88-90F and in Oct are 85-88F?

In fact, where in the Bahamas do surface water temps get that high at those times of the year?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi Caribbeandiver,

Where in the Bahamas do you dive that scuba water temps in Sep are 88-90F and in Oct are 85-88F?

In fact, where in the Bahamas do surface water temps get that high at those times of the year?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Sorry it is taking so long to answer your questions. Hmm, let me, consulting my log book....This past September 11th I dove DONUT, Night Dive 86 F; LURKING HEAD, 87F; DEAD GROUPER 89F. Sept 12th BIG GREENIE 86F; BULL RUN, 89F. SEPT 13th HESPERAS (very shallow wreck) Night, 88F; MORAY ALLEY, 90F; HAWKSBILL DRIFT 86F. Sept 14th BLAIR HOUSE 87F.
I could go on but that should be enough. After all summer cooking, the water is pretty warm in September. Much warmer that it is in June.

Checked my logbook

I was near Blair House ll on Oct 23 (we were at Bens Blue Hole). water temp was 82. last year we had 82 in the same area. Since then it's been dropping about 1 degree a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom