Bail out Pony Tank 13 cft or 19cft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the size for now.

Concentrate on where and how you want to mount it,,,,,,,then you will know the size.
I’ll take it a step further. Why are you planning to run out of gas? What problem is a pony going to fix that monitoring your pressure gauge won’t? It might sound harsh, but it is a legitimate question.

I’ll take it a step further. Why are you planning to run out of gas? What problem is a pony going to fix that monitoring your pressure gauge won’t? It might sound harsh, but it is a legitimate question.
Perhaps this is redundant gas for solo diving, perfectly appropriate

... What problem is a pony going to fix ......

I dive a 6 CuFt pony with an 8" hose & a button gauge.
The problem that it fixes is my own stupidity. I can survived being bent, I can't being dead from an arterial gas embolism.
In short,,it's Stupidity Insurance,,,,just like that 6 inch square bomb located on your steering wheel that most ignore just 12 inches from their face everyday. Stupidity Insurance.

I sling a 13.
I have played around with backmount on main, but its friggin wide = awkward in most charter tank racks, so it stays slung.
The 'plan' is to do a SS if deployed. If ooa while at stop, surface is pretty close by.
For me, a 19 would be as big as I go, any bigger they become cumbersome and stay home in the garage.
I had a 40 before.

Edit. It was snippy and I am better than that. Sometimes. Some of the responses on solo and pony bottle threads tend to bring out the worst in me. Ancient history.

Last edited:

"How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans..."

If you are seriously questioning the reasoning behind redundant gear, read this...

I had 19cf DIR rigged few times when diving from socal boats, much easier than deal with insta-buddy..
and almost undetectable compared to cf40.
I passed it onto my local dive buddy that got new underwater camera and wants to stay in one place for hours.:)

I like redundant ways of getting back to comfortably breathing atmospheric air.

Recreational diving (to me) involved only going places I can safely CESA (freedive up from without gear). If I'm deep enough or in an environment where my immediate ascent isn't assured, I want an alternative air supply. That's generally an al80. I'd use smaller, even a 3l spare air for some profiles would make it more comfortable.

A point a rarely hear suggested which is a must for me: The redundant cylinder must be easily removable if I need to dof my gear in the emergency which resulted in me needing my redundant air source I can ascent holding it without a harness.

Seems what each diver can honestly count on needing during stress is hard to predict.

My biggest current concern is recovering from a bad CO hit at depth, if I go into hyperventilating. My bailout doesn't last long if I'm breathing it at a SAC of 3.0 instead of .35 or even the "conservative" 1.0 some people use in planning bailout.

That's doomsday planning. Your risk tolerance, physiology and trust in a practiced emergency response skillset will answer how much redundant air you think you want to carry.

I hope this helps in thinking through what you choose.
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom