Baja on the Cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never done a "dive vacation" before; I've only gone diving a few times on the overseas trips I've taken. Now, though, my wife is also certified and we go diving locally all the time, so for our next big vacation trip we want to try to get as much diving in as we can. However, there's no way we can afford the dive packages we've found so far.

One thing that makes these packages so expensive is the accommodation. We're used to "roughing it" on our trips. On our last trip to Costa Rica we either camped, or were able to find hotel rooms for about $5 -$10 US a night. We paid a bit more in Belize, but still way less than the nightly rates for dive resorts we've found online. Now, these places may look a little sketchy to most of the typical American dive travelers, but the linens were clean, the service was excellent, they were all locally owned, and we never had any problems with security.

When I try to find threads about budget travel it seems to me that what most people consider "cheap" is about five times more expensive than what I'm used to.

For our next trip, we're looking at Baja California. We've been looking as far north as Loreto, but trying to avoid the probably-over-commercialized Cabo area. We're probably only going have two weeks this time, so hopefully the money we save on accommodation can be put towards more diving.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to maximize our diving without spending money on stuff we don't need or want, like pools, beach-front cabanas, air conditioning, included meals, etc? I'm hoping maybe somebody might recommend a local dive operation that may not have an easily-found web presence. I'm thinking we may be able to arrange a dive package for one or two weeks of diving for two, but without the normal accommodations.

Hi

I have never stayed in BC so can't recommand a place there. However, you usually do not have to stay at a specific resort to use their dive shop. From my (limited) experience, most dive ops offer multiday packages to guests and non-guests alike. From what I'm reading on these forums, the only restriction to this would be unlimited shore diving, which seems to be offered only to the hotel's guests, but I don't even know that any resort in Baja has a shore accessible house reef, so that wouldn't be an issue for you (although I may be wrong).

Make a list of the different dive ops you find in Baja, see what kind of dive-only package you can deal with them, then look for nearby lodging options using Lonely Planet and other sources specifically geared towards the backpacking crowd. Although, as you probably know, the sweetest deals are usually found once you're down there, since the cheapest local places to stay don't usually have a website. If you drive down, you can book the first couple of nights and then look for other options.

If you don't find what you want in Baja, you might want to try other locations. Many dirt cheap beach cabañas and campgrounds on the mainland but the ones I've stayed at were more in "surf territory" such as Puerto Escondido, so I don't know about the diving there.

The Caribbean coast is considered more expensive, but you can still camp (or stay in a dorm room) near the beach in Isla Mujeres for less than $10/person/night.
Isla Mujeres is very touristy, but it still has mainy friendly locals and expats and is a fun little island 20 minutes from Cancun.

I've also stayed at the Traveller's Inn in Mahahual (a 5 hour bus ride from Cancun), they had cheap rooms and let people pitch a tent on their ground. Right by the ocean, but a couple of miles from the dive shop. Hitchhiking was very easy though.
Cruise ship stop there and I hear that the place has become popular with springbreakers, but once the pod people are back on board (they only land a few hours each day), it's a very quiet village.

Haven't gone to Xcalak right by the border with Belize, but I'm sure you could find a local that would let you camp on their property for a reasonnable price.

Tulum also has affordable places to stay on the beach and in town. Again, very touristy.

Have you considered Cozumel ? I'm heading there in December (not quite roughing it, though), the lodging is not dirt cheap (cheapest option I've found is $10/person in a dorm room at the Hostelito. Private rooms there and in other hotels are about $35 to $50 for two people) but lots of dive ops to chose from with packages that are hard to beat. Only downside is that the cheap hotels are downtown and not all dive ops will pick you up there, thus adding in taxi costs.
Here's an attractive hotel+diving deal someone referred me to during my research :
Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico

All of the above places can be easily reached by cheap public transportation from Cancun.

I don't know what airline deals you have in your area, but Utila, Honduras, might be another option since you have two weeks. It's a backpacker place geared towards diving. Never been there but from what I hear it's inexpensive to dive and stay there.

In the same line of thinking, have you considered Thailand ? If you can find a cheap ticket, you can stay on one of the islands and sleep, dive and eat for very little.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I've found a dive op in Mulege that does shore dives, but those cost $50 a tank (don't seem to offer unlimited dive packages).

I guess what I'm trying to say in my post above is that, considering how expensive diving is, once you've budgeted everything (transportation, lodging, diving&#8230:wink:, you might find that saving $30 a night on a hotel room might not actually save you money if you're planning on doing three dives a day for two weeks.

If you want to avoid Cabo try La Paz or Loreto, also Cabo pulmo it's a nice spot but on this season there is too much wind and the diving it is not so nice as in other times of the year...

In La Paz you can find cheap rooms and there are several dive operators in the area, I can only recommend you the one that is called Baja Aventuras cause I dove with them last August, their prices are very good and normally they take small groups on their trips...

In Loreto Baja Outpost it's a good one, they have the all inclusive packages but you can dive with them without staying at their cabanas for a reasonable price...

Hope this helps, and have fun in Baja !!!

I don't know about the rooms cause there in La Paz I stayed at a friend's house but I think it can be very cheap in one of the hotel in the city that are not on the beach and stuff like that, I think there are a lot of those there in La Paz.

As drifter said Baja Aventuras is a good Dive operator, they have a little office on the Malecon (the bay corridor) and they make trips to the Island in front of the beaches of La Paz, there you can dive with sea lions and also there are some very interesting ship wrecks...Also when I went to La Paz they were the only dive operator that gave me concrete answers about night diving and we did a couple in some of the very little islands in front of the city...

Hello.There are hotels in Cabo for $65.00 for two people and they are right across the street from the Tesoro Hotel where Baja Dive is located.
Siesta Suites have a small kitchen so you can cook your meals.Mar De Cortez cost about the same and are just three blocks from the marina.
Baja Dive has the best rates in cabo and they have a nice Boat and great crew.You can also store your gear there.

www.baja-dive.net

Hello. i have been in Loreto, Mulege, and La paz. You can find good deals on cheap places when you get there. I based my trip on a lonely planet guide, so try to find the most recent one to have updated information on hotels and dive operations.
In dive op´s the price are very similar, but you can find good deals in food and hotels.
Have fun.

Thanks, everyone, but now it looks like we're going to Cozumel instead. It looks like the water temperature in Jan/Feb is too cold for us (we're trying to get AWAY from cold water!), and the flights are cheaper. We've never been to either place, so we're a bit concerned that Cozumel will be too touristy and commercialized for us.

If you do change your mind try the Cabo Cush Hotel... really a bargain and brand new hotel in the middle of town here in Cabo.
We do shore dives for a cheap price... Baja Sur Tours. There is a lot of choices as well as we do boat dives as well for great package deals.
Let me know next time your coming our way. And for La Paz you could try the New Pekin Hotel right on the boardwalk. We stay there everytime we go for about 500 pesos a night. Comfortable and quiet.
Donna
bajasurtours@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom