Balanced Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodive4:
I think he was asking about a balanced vs. unbalanced regulator.
No, I'm interesting in the buzzword "balanced rig" as thrown out by some posters, usually with a bit of DIR training, in reference to weighting issues, often in the context of a "don't dive steel tanks with a wetsuit" warning.

So far it just seems to be shorthand for "don't dive overweighted", and "be able to swim up from deep, even with a BC failure", but perhaps it is more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1240625&postcount=11 earlier in this thread is the sort of thing that gets thrown about.

Just wanted to find out what the substance is behind the buzzword.

Sounds like you have the idea, Charlie.

Charlie99:
No, I'm interesting in the buzzword "balanced rig" as thrown out by some posters, usually with a bit of DIR training, in reference to weighting issues, often in the context of a "don't dive steel tanks with a wetsuit" warning.

So far it just seems to be shorthand for "don't dive overweighted", and "be able to swim up from deep, even with a BC failure", but perhaps it is more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1240625&postcount=11 earlier in this thread is the sort of thing that gets thrown about.

Look...if you want to call me, I'd be happy to discuss it. However, I'm not writing you an essay on a message board because I just don't have the time. In a nutshell, your definition is correct. Satisfied?

Charlie99:

... nothing new actually. The problem in defining "the substance behind the buzzword" is that it describes a goal to acheive a desired result. It's not so easily described in a concise defintion and is dependant upon the conditions relevant to the circumstance of the dive/diver. You actually did a great job of trying to sumarize it. Still, it can't easily be fully described as it seems you'd like. This is a great example of where diving experience comes into play, and the reason that a diver must continue their education through more diving and training.

serambin:
To me the idea of a balanced rig would be:

1. Slightly negative at the beginning of the dive with a small amount of air in your BC.

2. Slightly positive at the end of the dive with enough air in your BC to achieve neutral bouyancy for a safety stop.

Stan

Not a bad stab at a definition... but NOT positive at the end of a dive. You never want to be positive to achieve neutral bouyancy. See Charlie99's summary defintion for more clarification.

JeffG:
Really...If I'm positive, how do I achieve being neutral? Inquiring minds and all

Well, now that you ask, you use your lungs.

Stan

serambin:
Well, now that you ask, you use your lungs.

Stan
Ah...Stop breathing...cool idea

Charlie you have the first part of the Balanced Rig definition down - don't dive overweighted. The second part of the definition refers to having your weight distributed on your body so it puts you into the right swimming position for better control.

It's like a teeter-totter, if it's weighted correctly on both ends it will be in a horizontal position to the ground, like a scuba diver if their weight is distributed correctly they will be in that horizontal swimming position for greater efficiency. This can be achieved by sliding your tank(s) a little forward or back on your kit, moving some weight from your belt to a tank pouch (or vise versa).

Every body type is different and every person needs to find where their ideal diving weight needs to be distributed. Just takes time and practice. The DIR Fundementals course goes over this idea really well. Everyone would benifit from the course from OW divers to Instructors in terms of buoyancy ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom