Bald Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this is not where I was expecting this thread was going when I read the title. I am a new diver and am bald but was curious if people wear light head covering when diving even in the tropics since there is so much heat loss up top, even in 80 degree water this could result in chills.

I suppose a hair piece could prevent this but why would you want to? I don't wear one myself but aren't they a) expensive if you were to lose it, and b) held on with water soluble glue?

I've got to agree there. Wear a hood and wear your hairpiece if you want, but realize that I will always picture the commercial in Goodfellas for Morrie's wig shop where he jumps in the pool. In fact, I can't stop thinking about it. It's pretty bad. That being said, if you're diving in warm water or tropical water, and scrolling up I'd say the Phillipines would qualify for, do what's comfortable. You can always wear a thin hood over your hairpiece for warmth and no one would probably question you. I'd mostly be concerned about retaining it, as a good "rug" is hard to find. So a light hood would help you keep it on, or you can risk it.
But decent wig tape (or whatever the term is) double sided tape would probably keep it on. So it comes down to risk. Do you want to use the tape and probably have it stay on, or a hood and be hot and have it stay on.

It's all personal preference, but I know how much a hairpiece costs. I'd honestly rather be safe and spend the savings on new dive gear.

I'm by no means and expert. I'm not even much of a diver. But I try to help.
Eric

I've got to agree there. Wear a hood and wear your hairpiece if you want, but realize that I will always picture the commercial in Goodfellas for Morrie's wig shop where he jumps in the pool. In fact, I can't stop thinking about it. It's pretty bad.
tumblr_kqk85hmdsx1qzpchso1_400.jpg

Ok...back to the OP...I know alot of girls that have weaves that have no trouble. Now hairpieces and extentions that are glued I have seen come loose in both fresh and saltwater. Or they have come off when removing their hood since the hood tends to be tight. I guess I would try it in the pool and see what happens. But I think a man looks good without hair so I am biased. :wink:

Carolyn:shark2:

Greetings adamtodd I have been asked the same question before and always recommend wearing a beanie that you pull on then attach under the chin. Removal takes some practice with out dislodging the hair piece.
The only other option that I can see is to remove it before the dive. Several of the fellows have used the diving to simply give up the fight and remove what they have left and roll with it. I have had a receding hair line and a growing bald spot on the top. A wise man once told me if I wanted to slow it down cut my hair of short, very short. Sounds totally crazy but I did and it slowed. I have noticed that in the winter I let it grow longer on the top but have noticed that the spot has grown. So as it stands to reason I will be shaving high and tight so to speak very soon. I wear a hood while diving and a stocking cap, lighter in the summer and heavier in the winter to keep warm. Only in the really hot weather do I go free because I can not stand it.
Do as you wish but know that there are many of us out there who have just rolled with it. My brother started loosing his just after high school it was really tough for him as you would expect. I have learned that it is better to accept the fact and move on. Whether you roll with a hair piece or not, dive and do not let it hold you back!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I like wearing a Lycra hood made by Pinnacle. Perfect for warm water diving IMO. I have a 3m as well but this is what I mostly use. It protects against the sun and should keep a hairpiece in place. I bought mine on line at Scuba Toys. It fits a bit tight so it takes a while to get used to it.

My father, who was hairline-challanged like me, always said "grass doesn't grow on a busy street"...!

In the meantime, there is this YouTube Video

Wow, this is not where I was expecting this thread was going when I read the title. I am a new diver and am bald but was curious if people wear light head covering when diving even in the tropics since there is so much heat loss up top, even in 80 degree water this could result in chills.

..SNIP..

oddible,

The prime reason I wear something on my bald head is to prevent getting it sunburned.

I was wondering if anyone on here has been diving while wearing a hair piece. Thanks.

Buy a beanie for warm water and throw out the hair piece.

I've been mostly bald for the past 35 years or so, and can tell you that aside from you and the guy who sold you the wig nobody on this planet cares how much hair you have.

Ditch it. You'll be happier.

Terry

What Web Monkey said. I wore one for a while in the late 70's. I wanted to cover up the bald spot which was forming on the crown. It was attached and weaved into the existing hair. As my hair grew it needed re-fitting about every couple months. Looked nice since I had a lot of hair to accompany it. Didn't increase or decrease the amount of attention I got from the ladies. It got to be such a bothersome propositiion that I s*** canned it one day, let what hair I had on top grow out and went on my way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom