Balls!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero:
I've heard these macroalgae referred to around here as "sailor's eyeball."
I think I like that one above the others :)
Rick

Buble algae has a soft tissue on the outside and grows too rapidly for all the calcific algae growth. I do not think it is buble agae, besides, algaes prefer nitrogen rich water, it is often found in aquariums. I would asume that there is little polution as the water apears quite clear.

Just my $0.02

This species belongs to the Ulvophyceae clade, which doesn't impregnate its thallus with calcium carbonate. It does belong in the Siphonocladales lower taxon, which contains many species commonly referred to as "bubble algae". Dictyosphaeria and Valonia, specifically. I'm not sure if the term is applied to other groups, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

The Dictyosphaeria and Valonia genera are well known for rapid growth in areas where nitrogen loading is high. I don't know if the same holds true for Ventricaria... it's growth habit is far more cryptic, anyway.

If my students bring me this species, I'll have them put it in their mouth and pop it like a grape. They get a big kick out of that. :wink:

JaxDvr - you are probably correct to say there is no pollution in the waters where I found that growing. The photo was taken off a small island, in the middle of the ocean with only a few hundred people living on it - and no factories. Also no evidence to me of crop growing so I doubt runoff's would be a factor.

Also, strong currents rip along that shoreline so I'm sure any runoff would be quickly dispersed into the wider Pacific ocean.

Put it in their mouth? What does it taste like...

Mike

Tangy seawater.

Just don't swallow the things... it's hard to keep track of which species have toxins, nasty secondary metabolites, or simply coexist with weird stuff.

I only eat a handful of macroalgal species, personally. Caulerpa racemosa isn't too bad... hey I just remembered that that's often called a bubble alga. I knew there were other examples.

A picture of my balls in Curacao...they actually looked like silver balls, the picture doesn't really capture their color...the DM freaked when I touched one to see what it felt like...:light:

Mike

mikerault:
A picture of my balls in Curacao...they actually looked like silver balls, the picture doesn't really capture their color...the DM freaked when I touched one to see what it felt like...:light:

Mike

Might be because he thought that by touching it you could possibly impart some type of physical damage to it that would cause it injury or death?

the K

mikerault:
...the DM freaked when I touched one to see what it felt like...:light:

Next time stick it in your mouth... maybe you'll cause him to suffer an uncontrolled ascent.:D

Back
Top Bottom