Bangka (+ Lembeh) March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A six nights trip to Bangka island including one day trip to Lembeh.
Unlike our previous trips, kids were busy with their own; so for this time only both of us.
We stayed at Nomad Diver Bangka, a new small budget resort owned and managed by young British couple; Sophie and Simon. We came before the resort officially opened on 1st April. Being new to Indonesian diving operation, not a perfect operation but they listened our suggestion and were trying their best to accommodate our request. There’s lot of improvement on very short days.
Currently they have 4 bungalows, typical Minahasan wooden house with large bath room; cold shower (could be hot after your second dive) and western toilet. They use electric gen set to power the resort for 2 hours in the morning and from 16:00 – 22:00. So make sure you bring enough battery and charger for your cameras. The resort is located on the small lagoon with private white sand beach backing onto mangrove forest; with lovely hammock for relax after diving or reading a book, get sweat with flying discs or enjoy board games. Quite happy as an Indonesian to beat a British guy in scrabble game. I’m pretty sure it was not intended to make me happy.
During low tide, you have to walk 50 – 80 m to the boat. So, before arrive to the resort check with them so can prepare your booties in case of low tide.

Nomad by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Diving,

Our favourite dive sites is Sahaung – 5 minutes boat from the resort, Batu Gosoh and house reef next to Murex resort - a coral boomie with zillion of glassfishes and a resident bearded scorpion fish.

Glassfish3 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

We dove sahaung and Batu gosoh twice. Sahaung consists of a series of underwater pinnacles, few of them break into the surface; continuously sloping bottom with several shelves and abundance soft corals of red, orange, purple and green. Practically not much current when we dived there, easy diving, meant no big fish, no sharks.
Batu gosoh also consist of several pinnacles plus nice mini walls drop to 40m.

Bangka Seascape 6 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Batu gosoh2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Bangka Seascape 4 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Frogfish and diver by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

We did a night diving as well, at the house reef near mimpi Indah resort. To our disappointment, almost nothing, very quiet, the only highlight is a huge lobster - probably 2 - 3 kg.
Although we can see Lembeh island from the resort; still took 1.5 hours to reach Nudi retreat when did the day trip to Lembeh. We stopped at Black Sand Dive resort for outstanding 3 course lunch – very tasty and delicious food. Think to stay there on our next trip to Lembeh. Our dive guide is not a bad guide – but for Lembeh we need more than just a good dive guide. We need an eagle eyes critter's hunter – unfortunately he is not in this category.

Forgfish Lembeh by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

And here for more pictures

Bangka 2013 - a set on Flickr

Thanks for the report. Bangka diving looks very good. Am off to lembeh for 2 weeks start of may so look forward to doing couple day trips to bangka weather permitting! Yes it is essential to have a good guide in lembeh and bangka and someone who knows where the resident critters are hiding!!!

I will be in Bunaken for few nights in May before heading to Lembeh I hope there will be hope for a Bangka trip I think it is just a bit more!

Another great report and photos Wisnu!

Nice photos, Wisnu!
We had lots of surge during our dive at Sahaung (and other dive sites -late Dec 2012). Sahaung was our favourite dive site at Bangka too. Did you see the baby sharks under the large table corals?

Another great report and photos Wisnu!

Thanks Jake, glad you enjoy the report

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

Nice photos, Wisnu!
We had lots of surge during our dive at Sahaung (and other dive sites -late Dec 2012). Sahaung was our favourite dive site at Bangka too. Did you see the baby sharks under the large table corals?

Hi cat, thanks
no surge, easy diving most of the time except on the last dive when we missed the boomies at Murex house reef.
unfortunately, we did not see any sharks on our 13 dives in bangka neither other big pelagics

I am also back from Bangka after a stay in Raja Ampat, stayed with Murex, dived twive Sahaung,n always my favorite and saw the white tip puppies under the table coral. Lots of giant frogfish too.
Aswar from Murex made m discover a fantastic but high voltage dive which is called Batu Pendita, on the mainland side, this is a current swept rock with canyon completely coevered with orange corals, very spectacular. One dive not to be missed, but not for the beginners : heavy current there!!!

Luko how was RA? I know your love for bangka and look forward to doing some dives in bangka in a few weeks when i go to lembej. Probably only have 2 days diving there weather permitting, what sites do you recommend I try and request?

Luko how was RA? I know your love for bangka and look forward to doing some dives in bangka in a few weeks when i go to lembej. Probably only have 2 days diving there weather permitting, what sites do you recommend I try and request?

RA was absolutely fantastic never ever saw so many fish, sometimes you can't see the guides behind the fish. I was lucky enough to have my own boat with 2 diveguides for myself. I think that was much better dive conditions than a liveaboard which were plenty on the sites we dived sometimes with big groups of divers.
As for Bangka, the sites not be missed are Sahaung and Paradise pier, I am not sure a Lembeh dive operator will know sufficiently Batu Pendita, otherwise there are lots of good macro sites for pontohi pygmies like Sabora, Demak or Tanjung Usi. I like Tiga Batu too which can be done either macro or wideangle.

Back
Top Bottom