Bangkok bound June 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just found out that I will be travelling to Bangkok for a work related conference (21-22 June). I'm considering traveling on 17 June so that I have a few days to adjust and sight see. I would love to bring my dive gear and go out on some charter dives if possible. Might anyone be able to recommend a dive outfit that operates out of Bangkok? Might there be a 3-day liveaboard? Any help is sincerely appreciated.

GypsyDoc,

No charters out of BKK but Pattaya would be your nearest destination. Possibly 2 hours max by car. Try Mermaids there.
Alternativey, the next fastest option is to Phuket or Koh Samui and dive there, Phuket is out of season by than. Koh Samui and Koh Tao are fine than.
In Phuket try Ringo's outfit and in Koh Samui or Koh Tao you can try respectively Samui International Diving School and Planet Scuba.

Hi GypsyDoc,

Congrats on coming to Thailand. Lot warmer than most parts of the world currently :)

The Bangkok-Pattaya market does not have liveaboards, only day trips. You can travel down from Bangkok in the morning and catch a dive with us at Aquanauts at 8 a.m., or stay overnight here and we'll pick you up in the morning.

Unlike Florida, where I got dinged for every little cost, my center's trips are all-inclusive. Price is about $80 and includes 2 tanks, equipment rental, hotel pickup/return service, lunch & soft drinks. We use only Mares & Scubapro gear, so it's good stuff.

As of today, we are now PADI's newest Naitonal Geographic Dive Center and the area's largest 5-Star IDC.

You can book with us online at www.aquanautsdive.com

Hope to see you!

Aquanauts!

Thanx guys for the insights. I've been intrigued by the suggestion of going on down to Phuket as it appears that the air trip is rather reasonable between Bangkok and Phuket (Nok airways).

I found an intriguing 2 day/2 night liveaboard out of Phuket as run by Sunrise Divers. This liveaboard is a refurbished Chinese Junk and the trip is out to the Phi Phi islands. Though I realize that June is out of season, the boat itself looks to be quite an experience! Has anyone ever been on this or have other knowledge?

GypsyDoc:
Thanx guys for the insights. I've been intrigued by the suggestion of going on down to Phuket as it appears that the air trip is rather reasonable between Bangkok and Phuket (Nok airways).

I found an intriguing 2 day/2 night liveaboard out of Phuket as run by Sunrise Divers. This liveaboard is a refurbished Chinese Junk and the trip is out to the Phi Phi islands. Though I realize that June is out of season, the boat itself looks to be quite an experience! Has anyone ever been on this or have other knowledge?
June might be a bit rainy down in Phuket. This might not be an issue for you at all - diving in off season has it's benefits. However I don't think there are any boats going to the Similans in June due to the rough seas.

I fly Nok with fullset from BKK-Phuket, if you are hauling gear you might consider NOK+ class as they grant a 30kg allowance instead of the 15kg one for sterage class. The extra cost for baggage will cost you about the same (or more).

If that's too much, there's diving in the basement of the Paragon department store in Bangkok :wink:

my recommendation would be to stay on the Gulf of Thailand side in June. Andaman sea can be quite rough, and not much fun...
Bangkok Air flies to koh samui, which would be the right place to be at that time.
Or fly just a bit further and go to Malaysia (Pulau Redang, Penhentian) although in my opinion not as nice as samui, koh tao etc...
Have fun whatever you decide.

Perhantian/Redang is quite out of the way involving a 2 hour transfer from regional airports. The coral in Redang is excellent and the fishlife in Perhantian is astounding compared to the ilk in Gulf of Thailand. Nothing beats Phuket and the Similian of course.

Hi there Gipsy Doc - yes.. pattaya is your best bet .. drop me an IM and i'll recommend a few good dive sites..and who to go dive with..

I have submitted dive site reviews on another website : divesitedirectory.co.uk - look up Thailand & Pattaya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom