BARE ATR Light or HD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a dry suit. It's between the Bare ATR Light and the HD. Anyone know anything about them? It's my first suit and would love to hear from people who have either of them or know anyone using them and their differences. How bout it? :rolleyes:
THanx
JOEY

I currently own a bare ATR HD, and I currently teach for a Bare Dealer. The light version I personally have stayed away from due to New England having so many sharp rocks and barnacles which possibly could tear the suit. The ATR light just seems too flimsy for my liking, so I went with the HD. I like the HD's heavy duty construction and kevlar knee pads. I have had it about 2 years and never even have had any wear marks. I have used it for over 200 dives up here with no problem I highly recommend the HD over the light. It is worth the extra money. I also have own a DUI CF200 and would say that the Bare ATR HD held up to more abuse than my DUI has

Ronmedic once bubbled...
I currently own a bare ATR HD, and I currently teach for a Bare Dealer. The light version I personally have stayed away from due to New England having so many sharp rocks and barnacles which possibly could tear the suit. The ATR light just seems too flimsy for my liking, so I went with the HD. I like the HD's heavy duty construction and kevlar knee pads. I have had it about 2 years and never even have had any wear marks. I have used it for over 200 dives up here with no problem I highly recommend the HD over the light. It is worth the extra money. I also have own a DUI CF200 and would say that the Bare ATR HD held up to more abuse than my DUI has

I dive in CA and agree with the above.The HD is a very well built suit.The light version just seems, too light.The plus side is that it is very flexible but doesnt look near as durable as the HD.I would spend the extra money and get the HD.I have a friend of mine that purchased a light one and sold it so he could buy a HD after seeing the difference between the two.I have had my HD for close to a year and have had one minor leak where the neoprene sock attaches to the trilam which was easliy fixed with a little aquaseal.The only other thing that i dont like about the HD is the lack of suspenders for surface intervals and the anti inflation leg set up which seems pretty useless to me as they dont seem to be tight enough around the lower leg to do any good.Besides i dive with my exhaust valve fully open and use just enough gas to eliminate squeeze.I should also mention that i use trek boots and really like them.

After investigating this throughly (including talking to the Bare reps here in BC), I decided on the Lite. The HD is really nothing more than the lite with a few extra features (which I did not care for myself). There are numerous of these suits here (Northern BC) that are used constantly for both work and recreation, and they are holding up great. In comparison, the Vikings are having more troubles than the Bare ATR Lites are, so if that is any indication. If you do not need the gators (you have had a suit without them and really have no trouble with the leg inflation) or required to be on your kneed in some gnarly situations where the beefier material would be nice, then don't hesitate for the lite. As well it is a little more flexible (minimal really, but noticible in the long run). For ice diving, this suit is better than many others out there. The ATR system gets rid of excess volume to a degree so that there is less air to get cold. No complaints on the performance under the ice either. It seems to be a better suit than my old imprex, so what it is going to come down to is between price and are you in the situations where the extras on the HD are really necessary. Once those questions are answered you'll know which suit to buy. Just my $.02 anyway.

akforsyth once bubbled...
The HD is really nothing more than the lite with a few extra features (which I did not care for myself).

I totally disagree wth this.There is a very big difference between the two materials and their thickness.It is far from a light.Im not saying the light isnt a good suit but the HD is definitely more heavy duty.Check the website for the specifics on each suit. http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/default2.asp

You are correct in that manner. I was a bit rash in my comparison, but the point I am making is that really for average rec divers, the HD is nothing more than cost. My Lite is working underwater, and doing some serious rec diving with no troubles at all. Of course, there are times when the HD would be better, but I am not wearing this suit for that (IE cutting and burning). I would even go as far as saying that there is no reason this suit would not work for some hardcore tech diving without any troubles. There are definately instances when the material will be of concern though. Such as working around sharp objects, cutting and burning, etc. But the HD is just a little less susceptible in these cases as well. Like I mentioned in this last post, my imprex held up for numerous years without any troubles and this suit seems a bit tougher than that even, only time will tell though. I think it is more important to really look at whether it is necessary or nice. Of course we all like the nicer toys...

Upon second look, the material differences are only in the upper body, and a polyester trilaminate vs a nylon trilaminate... So difference between 1960's and 1970's...:)

I have a HD and it is just about bulletproof.I dont know much about the light but the HD is a very good suit.
joens

Not to hijack Joey's thread, but does anyone have opinions on how the Nex-Gen compares to the ATR Light?

chris_b once bubbled...
Not to hijack Joey's thread, but does anyone have opinions on how the Nex-Gen compares to the ATR Light?

My first drysuit was a nex-gen.Another great low priced entry level drysuit.To me the nex gen felt like it was about the same thickness as the light and the nexgen is a bilam.I would almost contemplate buying a nexgen before i purchased a light as they seem to have about the the same durability.The light is a trilam so it must be thicker than the nexgen but is hard to tell.The light is a self entry where the nex gen is not.Basically it comes down to what you want to spend.If you want a low priced durable entry drysuit the nex gen is a good choice.If you want to go one step up to a self entry suit then go for the light.If you decide that the HD is worth the extra money for a tougher suit then go with it.I was contemplating on the light but for the difference of money between the light and HD i felt the HD was worth it in the long run.All 3 suits are great. have personal experience with the nex gen and really liked it but wanted to move up to a self entry and more durable suit.

Back
Top Bottom