Bare Nex Gen Drysuit vs Wetsuit For Texas + Vacation Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just wanted to get the swampdivers opinions on drysuit vs wetsuit for a diver like me. i'm relatively new to this, about 60 hours logged. mostly rented until now. i will be diving around the state (lake travis, aquarena, flower gardens) and making 2-3 trips each year (keys, carribean, pacific) to mostly tropical destinations. my issue is this: i have a liveaboard comming up in march, with water temps in the 82-86 range. but then i'll come home, and dive the flower gardens in may. i'd REALLY like to own my own exposure suit for these dives, but i don't think anything fits both. i'm thinking about a bare nex gen pro w/ sitech p-valve installed.

I just went through a similar decision process. I went diving in Houston two weekends ago in my 3mm shorty covered with my 3mm full suit in 51° water. To say it sucked would be an understatement. I wanted a dry suit sooooo bad. then I researched the suit for me, a Dui tls350. only one problem I do not have 2.5K in my Scuba fund. I do not even have the 250 I spent on a 6.5mm semi dry Scubapro suit but it will have to do. In Texas we do not dive so often in 50° water that I can justify the big $$ on the dry suit right now. maybe when I get into caving and spend several hours in the 70s I will need it but for now rubber rocks.

I am in a similar situation where the Scuba fund is very limited and doesn't have room for dry suit right now. I dive throughout the winter in water as low as 48 and have found my 7/5mm wetsuit does well for me. Last week I dove in 54-57 deg water and didn't get chilled until after the one hour mark. When funds are available I'll get a dry suit, because getting out of cold water into colder air when wet does tend to suck on windy days.

Dry or not may turn out to be a very personal question. You might like to see how much of the year you can dive in your favorite locations before making an expensive purchase.

I _love_ diving Spring Lake dry. Extended dive times and 72F water mean I get quite chilled in a 3mm + hood. If the air temps are below 80F I'm dry. In Travis the best viz tends to be deeper and colder. Even in mid summer we'll be in water that's in the high 60s to low 70s. Broiling topside becomes an issue though. :shades: YMMV.

Last edited:
OK. You asked for it. Opinion:

After looking at the dive destinations of aquarena, flower gardens, keys, carribean and tropical, liveaboard -- I have to tell you, stick with your wet suit. It fits well for those destinations. Don't knock it. A wet suit is pert neart ideal for those situations.

As for travis, a wet suit is very acceptable at travis for at least 6 months of the year. Go with it. It's all good.

If you end up doing any diving that is more aggressive than this, ie. colder, farther north, etc., then maybe a dry suit is acceptable; but honestly, given the price of a dry suit and the frequency of which you might actually get to use a dry suit, I don't think I could recommend the purchase.

One other thing, with 50 hours of dive time, I suppose you are your own individual and can decide if you want a dry suit or not; but I would recommend you get a few more dives on a wet suit before venturing into the interesting escapades of diving in a dry suit.

Two last points. For a wet suit, I find that a 5 mil multi-purpose wet suit works very well for me in most all situations except for the coldest months of winter or the most extreme of conditions. A 5 mil wet suit is very versatile and it's much cheaper than a dry suit. I personally believe that a 3 mil suit is too thin for most Texas diving.

Lastly, it is my opinion that a 5 mil wet suit is your best fit for your current dive experience and diving requirements. These things will change in time. One year from now, you will probably need a dry suit; just not right now.

These are just my opinions. I hope they help in some way.

I used to tease an instructor for diving the 70 degree Aquarena water in a dry suit. Then I got one. Lie Patti said, it is great for extended dive time at Aquarena and is good for the deeper diving at Travis. The main benefit for me is getting out of the water into the cooler air during the winter.

One benefit that that others have not mentioned, is that a BARE Nexgen drysuit will pack smaller and dry faster than 5 or 7 mil wetsuit. Given practice and experience, you'll be able to get into and out of the suit as fast as others in a wetsuit. Plus you'll have the benefit of not having to change clothes.

For the Caribbean destinations, I usually dive in swim trunks, but that is just me. I did take a 3mm suit to Cayman with me and left it in the locker after the 1st dive.

If you go with the p-valve, my preference is the OMS brand. It is automatic, so you don't have to remember to open or close the valve. Be sure to have the p-valve installed at the shop where you buy it. Also, talk to someone who is used to diving with a p-valve. They can give you some rules of the road to avoid painfull lessons.

Ultimately, the choice will be yours. If you have the scuba funds for a dry suit and p-valve, I'd say go for it. It will keep you diving year round, where a wet suit may not.

I think Richerso' points are spot on.. If you are not cold natured, go with a 5 mil wetsuit. I've got a drysuit I was diving today (second time) and I prefer the freedom of movement that my wetsuit has over it. Of course, different brands will have different characteristics underwater, and if it is really cold, they're great. I'm good in a 3mm long with a 3mm short in water down to the bottom of the 60's for at least one dive. I can pull 3-4 dives in 72 degree springs all day with no chilling issues unless it is cold when I get out..

I'm going to start shopping for a good 5 mm wetsuit this evening.

Since "winter" is almost over in Texas, I definitely would go for the wetsuit if I were you. Or, you can buy my drysuit for a nice price. :)

David

I got the NexGen in November and have about 16 dives. Just need a buddy to zip and unzip. Great suit and price. Dive for hours now, no running for a warm shower afterwards. No valve, maybe next year. Awesome suit, wearing Chuck T's over the neoprene boots. Dove Lake Travis on New Years Day, 56 degrees, no issue. Diving Aquarena with just a thin champion fleece top and bottom $19 each.

I used to tease an instructor for diving the 70 degree Aquarena water in a dry suit.

:D

I second everyone who says that a drysuit is a personal choice. I tried a 7mil farmer john once and thought I was going to have to cut myself out of the thing or go nuts - for me it wasn't a pleasant experience. A drysuit was my only real option for diving cold water.

A well maintained drysuit can last a long time but does have some maintenance involved (like most dive gear.) If you do decide to get a drysuit get quality undergarments, they'll make a difference. Like Mack said, getting some P-valve pointers can make life a lot more pleasant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom