Bare Velocity or?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unwantedsn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking to get my 1st wetsuit and would like some feedback. I’m a new diver with only 11 dives, all of my dives were in a rented 7mm Bare Sport Flex and I had no issues. My LDS only stocks the Velocity or “better” and is really pushing me to that. My question is is there something else that I should be looking at? I’m not sure what brands are good/bad etc and it seems like every “top 10 suits of 2017” are different. I know for sure I want 7mm full wetsuit, other than that I’m open to suggestions.

I'd look at the Sharkskin and lava products....

I have the 7mm Bare Sport Flex and it does me well. I tried on a few other brands but nothing fit my shoulders as well (my shoulders roll forward). But this brings us to the heart of the matter. Try on a few brands to see what fits best, because the top 10 lists mean nothing if the suits aren’t comfortable and don’t fit you well.
In regards to the “better” bare suits, I just got a 3mm Velocity, on sale through Leisurepro, for an upcoming Caribbean trip. I haven’t used it yet but it has so much more stretch that it is much easier to put on. I’m sure some of this is 3mm vs 7mm, but not all of it.
Bottom line, if the Sport Flex fits well, the Velocity may be worth looking at. However, try a few other brands if you can. Fit is King.

My last three suits have been Bare Velocities. They are form forgiving and sized to fit a variety of shapes, are comfortable and overall made well. But like all the flexable neoprene suits I have worn, including the well reviewed Hendersons, they do tend to loose much of their insulation after a hundred dives or so.

Even so, I would and have bought them again. I have had a 3/2, a full 3 and a 5.

If its available, the Waterproof is a nice wetsuit. Eric has two and they are extremely well made and durable. And warmer then many comparable suits. But they are not as form forgiving and if you don’t have the right shape it maybe hard to fit.

I wasn’t aware they made 7 mil wetsuits.
Neither do I.....should he not check them out then?

yes, since you wouldn't go check out the harley dealer if you are shopping for a minivan.

op, i would also consider a semidry in that range such as the xcel 8mm or just go for the cheaper suit if it fits you fine and use the savings towards a drysuit later on.

I really like Aqua Lung’s AquaFlex line. They make a 7mm or the one I have is an 8/7mm semidry that has an attached hood. If you will be wearing a hood anyway, it’s warmer than a regular 7mm.

Their AquaFlex is easy on and off and is forgiving so it fits many different body types.

I've been diving 3mm Bare Velocity for a few years and have replaced a couple with the same. Last year I bought the 5mm Velocity. I love these suits and agree with everything said above. Also, if the water is a bit more chilly, I can wear my Bare chillguard or Sharkskin underneath and I'm super comfy.

I moved up from a Bare Velocity 3mm to a 5mm about three years ago. I dive exclusively tropics (and I would put my most recent dives last month in Cabo san Lucas in that category), and I have never been happier with an exposure suit in my entire 30+ years of diving. For a 5mm suit, it is a breeze to put on (the zippered ankles help a lot, as well as the stiffness of the legs which allow you to aim once with your foot and go), and once on, really provides a lot of support through the lower body (I have a bad lower back), and great comfort in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom