Barefoot Cay Resort in Roatan- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can't seem to find any information on this resort (barefootcay.com), does anyone have any experience staying here and diving with them? I've read a bunch of reviews on who appears to be the usual suspects to stay with (Fantasy, Coco).

We are coming with two *young* kids 18 months and 4 months and so while it runs a bit against the grain of the average scubaboard member, we are looking for the highest end place we can find with the best service. We are experienced divers and also looking for the least cattle like experience we can find. Also will not dive non-stop so we want good beaches to hang with the kids at and watch them eat sand. Thx for the advice.

Tripadvisor seems to be the best resource for reviews on this place. I almost stayed there but they happened to be closed the week I needed to go and ended up staying at AKR.

Russell

Yep, thanks Russell, I have read them.

I can't seem to find any information on this resort (barefootcay.com), does anyone have any experience staying here and diving with them? I've read a bunch of reviews on who appears to be the usual suspects to stay with (Fantasy, Coco).

We are coming with two *young* kids 18 months and 4 months and so while it runs a bit against the grain of the average scubaboard member, we are looking for the highest end place we can find with the best service. We are experienced divers and also looking for the least cattle like experience we can find. Also will not dive non-stop so we want good beaches to hang with the kids at and watch them eat sand. Thx for the advice.

A recent trip report on FIBR here on SB described the local physical environ of Barefoot pretty well.

As far as letting your kids play on the beach and eat sand- yes, there will be a lot of eating going on. It is a basic point of information of the Bay Islands that they have the Best Sand Flies in the Caribbean.

The resort has good exposure to the ESE running breezes off of the Sea, unfortunately this may be offset somewhat by the "always wet" nature of everything that surrounds it. As no-see-ums simply thrive on moist decaying wood and vegetable matter, the small cay is absolutely surrounded by washed up debris. Probably no worse than many places, better than some. Either way, your children should be slathered in Deet. Other people espousing Skin So Soft, cactus juice and garlic will chime in. Take some low dose Benadryl (check with your Dr.) in the likely case the kids get zapped. This can happen anywhere in the Caribbean, but the Bay Islands... well, you know- they got this one right.

Barefoot has been using Subway Watersports as a dive op, and I don't think you can find a better day-dive op on Roatan. They should make you very happy- if they're still part of the program. If not, I'm sure they could pick you up. You are at the Western edge of what I believe is the best diving on Roatan, then Heading West along the South shore from there are a delightful array of shallow, sunbathed vertical walls- teeming with nursery type critters.

Many people refer to "cattle boats" in terms of crowds and numbers. They will not have any of that. You will be treated with the freedom consistent with your demonstrable skills. Who could ask for more than that? Good operation.

There are also two shallow wrecks nearby, (Mr. Bud and Prince Albert) and their website absolutely gurgles over their close proximity to the over rated Mary's Place. It's worth a dive, but don't get all worked up about it. In short- the resort is in the right place for diving- no doubt about it.

There really is no correlation to "highest end", service, and dive services. At least not yet on Roatan. The general reputation the resort has is typical of many Bay Island business, they are best described as "spotty" in terms of consistency. It is irrelevant whether they are 2 years old, it is unfortunately a predictable thing in Honduras. Here I am talking about the food and general service. The Cabanas are quite nice, although some of the initial polish and shine has worn away.

Trip Advisor is the worst place to get information that you should be getting from serious SCUBA Divers on a vacation. IMNSHO :eyebrow:

RoatanMan-

Thanks much for posting that information- very helpful. First of, we are totally aware that we are going to Honduras and not Paris :) We've dove in lots of countries and even some really remote spots so it is not new to us. But, we are taking kids for the first time and so frankly willing to pay whatever we can to make it as easy as possible. We've taken them to the beach a lot so we are comfortable with that aspect of the trip, though you hit the nail on the head with sandflies.

That is really my number one concern-- DEET on a 1 year old is not really an option, but there are plenty of safe options. I am a little concerned that the flies might be so bad that it will make the beach time uncomfortable. We really want good diving, but we also *must* relax from work and so diving is not our sole criteria, or we would already be booked :) Are they better or worse at any time of the year?

Nice review for the dive ops, I'll look into it, but sounds like a good shop and about all we could ask for (plus good equip). I'll email the resort and get some info from them.

Do you know when whalesharks are more prevalent in the area? We dove with them in Mozambique and it was just awesome. Also looking forward to some great macro stuff for photography.

Thx.

Subway watersports lost the contract for Barefoot some time ago, the owners have another dive operator. They also sprayed the island for bugs so this shouldn't be a problem, I did stay on the Cay a couple of years ago and enjoyed myself.

The dock is wonderful, it is covered and there is a small sunken sail boat in a few feet of water right at the end

The owners are Americans from Seattle, the wife Melisse is very nice and husband John is okay. Santos the GM is a very nice Honduran and well as their girl friday Haydee.

When my brother and is young family visited they had little doubt that on their return they would stay Mayan Princess.

Without kids to worry about there are plenty of other options i would prefer, but when it comes to a young family priorities change!

West Bay beach is perfect for the kids, the pool at Mayan is extremely shallow in most areas making it wonderful for kids as well. The family apartments with full kitchen, AC, TV and DVD player are nicer than any Hilton I have stayed in.

RoatanMan-

... We've taken them to the beach a lot so we are comfortable with that aspect of the trip, though you hit the nail on the head with sandflies.

That is really my number one concern-- DEET on a 1 year old is not really an option, but there are plenty of safe options. I am a little concerned that the flies might be so bad that it will make the beach time uncomfortable.

I was in Honduras and was not really bothered by too many sandflies, but other people in my group were. Several people who used Cactus Juice repellant, said it was absolutely phenomenal and that it kept the bugs away. I am heading back to Honduras and am looking to get a bottle of the Cactus Juice repellant myself.

dd

I have never stayed there, but I do know a couple of the staff there. Marc, who used to be an instructor at Dockside Dive Center, located at CoCoView, is in charge of the dive operation. If he runs it anything like he instructs people, you are in good hands. Doug, also previously from CoCoView then Turquoise Bay, also an instructor, is on the staff there as well. A great guy and an even better diver.

Both seemed to love the place as of the last time I was down there and talked to them (July).

Have fun and say hi to the both of them for me if you go there.

Later, Hawk (Rob)

Barefoot cay is a resort on its own little island. The owners john and melisse kennedy are very child friendly and have taken a lot of time ensuring that the best of materials have been used in their constructions. they also have a swimming pool, and some of the best staff, that I am sure will take excellent care of you and your family. They have their own dive shop barefoot divers, which is run by Marc Linton, they also offer repairs and I am sure use only the best equipment. there are 6 rooms above the dive shop called something like the Loft apartments (or something like that)

If beach is a consideration for you then by far the most beautiful beach is West Bay beach, perfect for children and is ploughed every morning to keep the sandflies down. Once a week the cruishippers come to west bay beach but they are all herded down to the far end of the beach and will not be a problem.

I have 2 children that were born on the island and have been raised here, funny enough the children are not affected by the sandflies as much as adults. The last thing i would do is put deet on my children, not only is it extremely damaging to the reef and critters, but it is a powerful chemical and I wouldnt even use it on myself. There are products sold locally on the island, Linda kays bodyguard and cactus juice that are totally natural. Mayan Princess is a great resort, they have an on-site dive shop and can get you out very quickly and easily to some of the best dive sites on the island.
Just for info: Subway water sports only operates on the north side of the island and have done since about the last 6 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom