Barefoot Cay Resort in Roatan- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello there,

As mentioned above, Subway Water Sports doesn't even operate on the south side. They are a great operation whom we've hired instructors from, Stine and currently Adam. The bottom line is that they are not out of Barefoot anymore.

When my sister comes down for her yearly trip, she also stays at the Mayan Princess. The beach at West Bay is the best on the island.

Off topic, but today's dive included a southern stingray, a hawkbill turtle, schools of blue tang, huge groupers, barracuda bob, coral banded shrimp, spiny lobsters, secretary blennies.... It was fantastic.

Best of luck on your Roatan experience...

-marco

We are also looking at Utila, while a little harder to get to, there seem to be some interesting options there. Thank for all the information so far- presumably it is the same reef system, but how does diving compare on Utila vs Roatan? We have dove in a decent number of places including Indonesia (Komodo), Andaman Sea (Thai side), East Africa and Tonga, so we have a good sense of different styles of dives. What might we get more of at one island or the other? Or doesn't really matter, just preference?

JP-

Your choices for "Luxury" are a bit slimmer if you are coming to Utila, but that said, we love the island. We don't live there full time (unfortunately), but do have a little place there (see linky in signature).

We just got back from Komodo in June and the Galpagos in January. If that type of diving is your benchmark, forget it. The pacific blows everything in the caribbean away. That said, Utila has a ton to offer the experienced and unexperienced diver. The experienced diver has perfect buoyancy control and an eye for the smallest of creatures in the caribbean. If you like nudibranch's, sea horses, pipefish and the like, you'll find them here. For the beginner diver, the vast majority of sites offer essentially zero current and easy easy easy wall diving.

If big fish are your thing, you'll find them, but not in huge abundance. Some of the exceptions are "Black Hills", I almost always see schooling Jacks there. Of course, you may encounter the biggest fish in the sea on Utila. That said, don't go expecting to see Whale Sharks, if you do, great, but plenty of people have gone and not seen them. They are there, just not always findable.

As for places to stay, there are a number of resorts, in no particular order, Laguna Beach, Utopia Dive Village, Utila Lodge, and Deep Blue, that are all inclusive and real resorts. There are also a number of houses for rent if that is more your style. The best places I've found for rental houses on Utila are destinationutila.com and aboututila.com.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask more questions about Utila, there are a fair number of folks who live or spend time there on the board and I know would be happy to help.

Cheers and safe diving.

Trey

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone, you'll have 20 fishermen out there tomorrow. :wink:

Glad to hear some bigger fish being seen. Now if we could get the annual Bay Islands Fishing Tournament to to truly go catch and release? Maybe?

Steve, I hope you'll stop by for a beer when we are down next (or we'll swing by your place).

The 600+lb Blue Marlin. I did. Amazing fish.

Will PM you on our next trip down.

Here it is...

Attachments

• bigassfish.jpg
    bigassfish.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom