Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting... shiny objects. I wonder just how often an incident like this occurs with a barracuda and a shiny object. Is it more prevalent in extremities - rings, bracelets, watches? Have there been incidents involving earrings, D-Rings, Masks or other reflective objects on the person?
I had a near miss with a great barracuda due to shiny silver earrings that I had forgotten to remove before the dive glinting in the sunlight filtering down from the surface while I was waiting out a safety stop. My buddy saw it coming, told me to look to my left, and when I saw the 'cuda coming right towards my face I ducked down. He got my first stage. I have never forgotten to remove earrings since that day, years ago.

My buddy's group had a couple of cuda attacks earlier in the year. They speared it afterwards as it was presenting too high a risk in their view. Attacked a diver's first stage, at speed, and got eyeball to eyeball with other divers making them *very* anxious. Shame they had to kill it, but in their view it was an accident waiting to happen. The attacks and close calls came over the course of several dives at the same spot.

J

I have often noticed barracudas following me. I was a bit creeped out till a divemaster explained to me that they like to use divers to screen them from prey till they get close enough to sprint out and grab something to eat. I've never been bothered by their following since then. I just look at it as a photo opp. While diving at Bonaire I was being followed by a very large one, I would estimate near 5 feet and it actually did nail what I thought was a black durgepn near me (hard to be sure because the attack was so quick). I took this as proof that the divemaster knew what he was talkiing about. Of course it is a bit silly to think we know precisely what is going on in a fishes mind. Maybe they are just curious about the weird stuff we outfit ourselves in or the bubbles. I don't consider them to be frightning or aggressive but they are wild critters and should be treated with respect. If one takes a bite out of you I don't think it will matter much to you if it is an attack or a case of mistaken identity. You will bleed like crazy and will never know for SURE what was going on behind the eyes of the fish.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is a hijack/troll free zone.
The current thread hijack has been removed to: idocsteve's rant against Cuda haters...
Hijacking/trolling in this zone will lead to restrictions from the zone.

Back
Top Bottom