Barracuda Encounter - Will I be Dinner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rolled off a boat at Sipadan Island into a school of them. Nothing bad happened except the photo was out of focus.

Nabucco, Maratua Atoll, is probably about 4-hour boat ride south eastward direction from Sipadan. Check it out next time you are in the neighborhood.

I have dove around a lot of Barracuda and never had any problems. I was told by a boat captain to be careful on night dives not to blind them with your light, because it bothers them and their response is to head toward the source. Supposedly on a previous trip a diver blinded a Barracuda and was struck in the chest by the fish at full speed nearly taking the wind out of him. Same captain said they have been known to hit shiny objects. I've had plenty of Barracuda follow me around hoping for an easy meal, and sometimes getting it at night when I accidently light up an easy meal for them.

I've had a barracuda attack me. He made three aggressive passes and hit my knee on the third one, causing a cut through my wetsuit to my knee cap. Can't say it was unprovoked.....I did shoot him first. But I've shot....maybe 100 barracuda and much bigger ones. This little one just came after me. Jumped clear out of the water on the first pass as it passed my face. After it hit me, I swam back to the boat. My son swam over and the fish was lying dead on the bottom about 30 feet under the boat.

DSC04263_zpsc9c1d3de.jpg

Hopefully this barracuda survived the lionfish venom & start eating more of the lion fish.

That barracuda's behavior is very similar to many occurrences I have had in fresh water snorkeling with large bass, walleye and muskellunge. If I am actively looking for crayfish and turning over rocks, they many times will come right up and "look over my shoulder" or stand just a few inches off my hands to see if they can snatch the dinner before I do!

Was it smiling like this?View attachment 404279
Those front fangs look intimidating, but it's the back teeth that are razor sharp. I had to swim out a 600 meter pipeline for maintenance and at times the water wasn't so clear. I would carry a speargun....for protection :D and occasionally would shoot a snapper or two for dinner. In the process of removing the fish from the spear, I've had a few barracuda come charging past, chomping their teeth. Pretty intimidating. A larger one could pretty much take your hand off. They'll chomp a 1 lb snapper in half....clean. Like a razor knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom