Battery recycling program.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I forgot to mention something I spotted at the airport when we lined up to check in for our flight home. There is a bin mounted to one of the pillars by the check in area that is for getting old batteries into the recycling program. Please consider using it rather than throwing into the garbage. Old batteries are very bad news when they get into the landfill sites.

Good thread. When we left I had four boxes of four AAA batteries and an open box of C batteries. They where secure so they would never touch each other.
The security people told me I could keep four AAA batteries or one box. The C batteries had to be thrown out. They would not even let my wife take a box of AAA's, they all had to be thrown away. I asked if there was a donation box for them as they where new. They said no.
I wish I had put them in my checked. Or given them to the dive op.

It's good that they are setting things like this up. I go one better and bring everything I took with me back home, spent batteries included. I don't like leaving stuff on an island to be disposed of, even one as close to the mainland as Cozumel. This is a habit I picked up from a trip to Bonaire, where they quite literally have no place to dump what you leave on the island other than a landfill right there on the (very small!) island. Yuck!

I had no idea there was a battery limit in carry ons. I always take 20 AA and AAA batteries with me on dive trips, and always in my carry on. Never had a problem before. I'll put them in the checked bags this time just to be safe!

I had always brought them home to dispose of properly too, but for my last trip I had bought a bunch of rechargable Eneloop's from a sale at Dell. I've always packed them in my regular luggage, so haven't run into Kevin's problem, but they ALWAYS go through my camera bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom