Battle Between: Sea & Sea YS-01 Vs Inon S-2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a Sea Life Sea Dragon Flash Strobe and am giving up on it. Tell me what you love or hate about the YS-01 or S2000. Thanks!

I have two, but mostly use a Sony a6300. The other is Olympus TG4 (for macro dives)

What is making you give up on the Sea Dragon? Keep in mind that as far as power output is concerned, both S2000 and YS-01 are in the same class as what you already have. For lighting up wide-angle shots with a large-sensor camera such as the A6300, most people use a pair of Inon Z-330s/Sea & Sea YS-D2s, or at least Z-240/YS-D1.

The first Sea Dragon I had died after 7 months (would not turn on). The company is AMAZING when it comes to support so a refurbished one was sent. I've had that one for 5 months and now when it is turned on, nothing happens. If you smack it a few times then it will turn on finally. Sent it back to them. They aren't sure why it's happening, but perhaps a connection issue. They have offered a full refund OR will send another brand new one. Honestly they have been great, but one year in I've had two faulty Sea Dragon strobes leaving me concerned about the quality.

The Z-330 looks amazing and I agree would be best for the a6300, but not best for my money. :)

Part of me thinks "third time is a charm" with the Sea Dragon, but I am a little skittish of the product given the issues over the past year.

The YS-01 are more powerful and are quite reliable. Unless you need the small form factor of the S2000 I would get the YS-01
Thanks Interceptor121! I am not worried about the size so good to know.

I am not at all sure the the strobes don't have the same power. S&S and Inon both say the strobes have GN 20 without diffusers so there really shouldn't be much difference in power. I have a bunch of s2000s but no YS01 to test against. For reliability I think Inon will win. The downside of the s2000 is that the knobs are small, not an issue in warm water but here in LA with dry gloves they are a bit painful to make adjustments.

Bill

I am not at all sure the the strobes don't have the same power. S&S and Inon both say the strobes have GN 20 without diffusers so there really shouldn't be much difference in power. I have a bunch of s2000s but no YS01 to test against. For reliability I think Inon will win. The downside of the s2000 is that the knobs are small, not an issue in warm water but here in LA with dry gloves they are a bit painful to make adjustments.

Bill

I agree on paper however the reality shows differences I lent my strobes to an s2000 user and he could get some wide angle shots
Backscatter tests indicate the YS-01 is 0.5 to 0.66 Ev stronger
For reliability I second the Inon cause but the YS-01 are reliable with no reported issues at large

Both S-2000 and YS-01 use four AA batteries, but S-2000 is rated at 570 shots per charge, while YS-01 is rated at 330 short per charge, implying that YS-01 dumps considerably more energy into each flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom