Bauer ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are some pictures of a Bauer I'm looking at. I'm thinking it is an older Capitano or Mariner, but I'm not sure. Definately a fixer upper, but I love fixing things and gaining a better understanding of how they work as I go. Any thoughts on how old it might be and am I going to have to upgrade the filtration, or is it compatible with grade "E" air with just repacking or cartridge change.

bauer1compressor001a.jpg

bauer1compressor002a.jpg

bauer1compressor003a.jpg

bauer1compressor004a.jpg

bauer1compressor005a.jpg

bauer1compressor006a.jpg

bauer1compressor009a.jpg

bauer1compressor011a.jpg

might be a Bauer Purus

Based on the first stage valve head and cylinder size, it is a Capitano Block. Based on the frame color, it is probably a Mako product called K-51.

Craig

Thanks for the info, guys. With it I was able to track down some threads where others like VBK and Fastbird have started with similar pumps in the same condition and brought them up to optimal condition. Lots of good tech info and tips, not to mention a great pictoral history of VBK's rebuild. I haven't picked it up yet, that will probably happen this weekend. I'm looking forward to a fun project and will let everyone know how it progresses.

Yes, looks like an old Capitano, but Wow, looks like it could keep you busy for a while.:D

Is it financially worth while to undertake these kinds of restorations? I am just wondering, do the parts and labour not work out almost as much or more as just buying a slightly newer unit in good running condition, especially if you need to change out complete filtration systems.?

He'll need a lot of stripper and rust remover. The HP coalescer will need replacement. The tank and jet tubes rust out from the inside. That is about $300. If the cylinders, heads and pistons are OK it might be worthwhile. Bauer parts are so expensive. Just to replace the third stage piston and barrel would be about $1200, I think. Pray that the internals including the finned tubing are OK. He could use it for a parts compressor. The crankshaft alone could be worth quite a sum.

Well, I am getting it for next to nothing and the owner assures me that despite the visual condition, it is in pretty good mechanical condition internally. Of course, that will have to be be determined by me when I actually show up to claim it. If it's a piece of junk with cracked heads and a broken crank, then I'm only out a half tank of gas and some time. If however, it is in sound condition, although ugly cosmetically, then I stand to gain. If my parts replacement list gets too extensive, I can always part out the good components like pescador said and be somewhat ahead money wise and then start looking for something else. It looks no worse than what VBK started with, and he had to replace one of the heads. I have torn down and rebuilt a HP compressor before, but not since my Navy days and I've rebuilt several engines that started out looking a lot worse than this Bauer. Call me irresponsible, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and the learning experience that goes with it.

Well, to test the operation it wil be necessary to invest in a motor and belt. If the unit will build pressure and the blowby is moderate (.5 cfm @ 3000) then the problems begin to revolve around cosmetics. Check for leaks, and other obvious stuff. The corroded tubing is a PITA, use strippers to clean the fins and follow up with paint. I wonder if the cylinders/heads could be blasted with walnut shells or something?

I've done restorations of small, MIL surplus compressors but I had the benefit of miscellaneous parts and partial blocks which I could strip. The suplus compressors had been beat up by surplus dealers, thrown around and neglected. One was covered with dirt and grease and looked like crap. I blasted it with ENSOLV which cleaned it up enough so I could see how to work on it. Disassembly showed almost new internals, very nice. When finished, after straightening fins, painting and all the mechanical work and cosmetics, the compressors looked and functioned almost like new. They will really jam tanks.

Sure, I guess one needs to look first and decide on the basis of good information. I agree though on Bauer parts, just way overpriced, although you may get away with some generic parts from Lawrence Factor compressor parts division which could possibly save a few bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom