Bauer junior 2 filling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a good question for the brain trust here. I hope @iain/hsm finds this.

When I drain the condensate traps (coalescer) manually I never drain all the pressure (Blow Down) completely. When the condensate stops running out I let a little more gas come out and close the valve. I realize that with automatic condensate drains that this is not an option.

Question:
Is there any value to letting the condensate drains completely de-pressurize?

Here is a good question for the brain trust here. I hope @iain/hsm finds this.

When I drain the condensate traps (coalescer) manually I never drain all the pressure (Blow Down) completely. When the condensate stops running out I let a little more gas come out and close the valve. I realize that with automatic condensate drains that this is not an option.

Question:
Is there any value to letting the condensate drains completely de-pressurize?

Do you mean while running or after shutting down?

Good point! While running!

I'm not really sure it's an answer, but I bleed just enough until water is out then close (while running). I gauge how often to bleed based off of how much water comes out after 10 min, then 15 min the 2nd time. By now I have a pretty good feel for what the ambient temp / humidity will do. I see no reason to bleed them down all the way while running, in fact I think that would cause things to wear out faster. I don't think the idea is to get rid of air... just water.

After shutdown I open them and bleed down all the way, but I also have a one way valve on the filter tower with a PMV after so the tower does not lose pressure. I think I'd have a pretty hard time getting things to move if I had any kind of backpressure in the compressor. My coalescers stay open until there's zero pressure coming out and then I close them again for the next startup.

Hope that helps... not really a scientific answer...

@clownfishsydney I do have two questions for you. Maybe 3.
What pressure did you fill to? Always the same? They now make a change over device that will let you switch between 200 bar and 300 bar.

Did you ever replace your actual filter housing? (P0 I believe)

What was the advanced filter life matrix that you eluded to? You mentioned that it comes with the Bauer P21 replacement filters. I use after market filters and I have not seen this. You mentioned that you get a number of points and depending on several factors like temperature and time this tells you how long you filter cartridges last. Genius!

4th question: Did you ever add another filter housing? I would like to add a large charcoal filter to catch more oil.
I normally fill to 220 bar. No, never replaced the filter housing.

I created a matrix based on the information that came with the filter. The Bauer information basically assumes you have an empty cylinder each fill, which for most people is not going to happen. So I basically look at the cylinder size in litres, then the air temperature and then how much air is remaining in the cylinder. This then gives a certain number of units which you cross off the filter's life. I carried this over to the repackable filter.

No, never added another housing.

In our dive club I was the first to purchase a compressor. Now there are about 25 I think. Most people follow the procedures I use.

Hope this helps.

Why
I normally fill to 220 bar. No, never replaced the filter housing.

I created a matrix based on the information that came with the filter. The Bauer information basically assumes you have an empty cylinder each fill, which for most people is not going to happen. So I basically look at the cylinder size in litres, then the air temperature and then how much air is remaining in the cylinder. This then gives a certain number of units which you cross off the filter's life. I carried this over to the repackable filter.

No, never added another housing.

In our dive club I was the first to purchase a compressor. Now there are about 25 I think. Most people follow the procedures I use.

Hope this helps.
220bar? Drops when it cools?

I will bet that it does not drop much! I have filled a LOT of tanks at the dive shop and I would hot fill them in approx. 5 min each. I had 4 fill whips. Then top them off the next morning before putting them away.

Now consider this. If you had 2 Alum 80/11 Liter tanks used down to 500psi (Sorry bad with metric) it would take the compressor 36 minutes minimum to fill them. Also you are filling to 220 Bar/3200. I would bet that that 36 minutes of cooling time does a lot.

Michael did you put them in water to fill them?

Now the reason for my first statement is that I believe that if you come into my shop and get a fill or rent a tank that it is good business practice to have 3000 PSI (a full tank). You would not believe how many times I was at a dive site or dive boat. resort and heard a customer say "AWE only 2850 PSI" so if you have a business fill them up! Also let it be known I am not talking about cave diving, wreck diving or tech diving! After this many recreational dives if I get a cylinder that is low, make 2 dives!

I will bet that it does not drop much! I have filled a LOT of tanks at the dive shop and I would hot fill them in approx. 5 min each. I had 4 fill whips. Then top them off the next morning before putting them away.

Now consider this. If you had 2 Alum 80/11 Liter tanks used down to 500psi (Sorry bad with metric) it would take the compressor 36 minutes minimum to fill them. Also you are filling to 220 Bar/3200. I would bet that that 36 minutes of cooling time does a lot.

Now the reason for my first statement is that I believe that if you come into my shop and get a fill or rent a tank that it is good business practice to have 3000 PSI (a full tank). You would not believe how many times I was at a dive site or dive boat. resort and heard a customer say "AWE only 2850 PSI" so if you have a business fill them up! Also let it be known I am not talking about cave diving, wreck diving or tech diving! After this many recreational dives if I get a cylinder that is low, make 2 dives!
So best to just top off.

but with a jr2 will it still get hot? Its only 100L / min

Yes I do them in water. They drop about 10 bar after filling. I actually fill to 250 bar on the gauge that came with the compressor but it reads about 20 bar high, so really filling to 230 bar. In Australia, a 3000 psi fill would be considered a very poor fill.

Normal fill in Australia is considered to be at least 3200 psi which is 200 bar. Virtually all tanks here are 235 bar tanks, even aluminium. Most people's private tanks are steel and a lot of shops are aluminium. I have a couple of aluminium but I really cannot remember seeing someone else with their own one in recent years. Aluminium do not drop as much when cooled, they do not heat up as much.

In Australia, a 3000 psi fill would be considered a very poor fill.

Normal fill in Australia is considered to be at least 3200 psi which is 200 bar.

3200 psi is 220 bar, not 200. But I'm sure that's just a type from you.

If I picked up my tanks from a shop with a 3000psi (207bar) fill I'll make them fill it up properly before I leave. If it's still warm I want to see at least 230bar before I walk out.

At home with my Oceanus if I fill a single tank (eg, a 10L steel from 80bar) it'll get very warm by 230 bar, and I'll definitely need to top up after cooling. But I'm usually filling multiples, so depending on what needs to be filled, I'll have a 7L 300bar twinset on one whip, then rotate 2-3 10L/12L steels through the other whip. After the singles are up to 240 I'll bring the 300's up to 300 and then shut down and come back an hour later to check the pressures and top up if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom