Bauer K15 Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdoebler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We have purchased a used Bauer K15. The compressor originally ran and the high end shutoff worked correctly at 4500 psi. The oil pressure gauge has always fluctuated wildly after about 20 seconds upon reaching its set pressure of 875psi. The pressure fluctuates between 900-1300 psi and randomly drops below the 875psi which then triggers the shutoff correctly. We can immediately restart the compressor and it consistantly climbs to its 900 psi level and starts fluctuating again. Sometimes the compressor would run 3 minutes before shutoff and sometimes it will run 45 minutes. No common denominator. We have bled the air out of the oil lines (very minimal) with no change in behavior. I have been told to overhaul the oil pressure regulator and a kit is on the way. This is not our primary problem though.

We have filled 10 4500psi cascade tanks with this compressor to the 4000psi mark. The compressor filled them in an amount of time that seemed reasonable. We have since capped off the cascade tanks 2 or 3 times to the 4000psi range. Yesterday I went to top off one of the banks and the compressor would not achieve a pressure above 2900psi. I shut down all valves at the fill station so the compressor was only working against the hose to the fill station. I then took my spray bottle and proceeded to look for leaks. None. I am stumped as to what could cause the compressor to have a sudden reduction in pressure capability.

All we can think to do at this point is to inspect the final stage piston and sleeve and then turn to valves if that isn't an obvious problem. We have little knowledge of the previous maintenance history of the unit but many of the filters suggested negligence. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think that you are on the right track, Change the final stage valves and piston/sleeve assy. and you should be fine. And when the oil pressure regulator kit arrives (they aren't very expensive) overhaul the regulator as well.
Sometimes, very rarely, it can be the oil pump that causes oil pressure fluctuations but most times it is the final stage or regulator.
Good luck, keep us posted on the repairs it helps others who may have the same issues.
ZDD

Now will also be a good time to also renew the oil pump drive belt.
Shame to do all the work & piston/sleeve cost a lot .To have a belt fail.

Hi rdoebler,

Everything you are doing and thinking is correct. Your oil pressure issue is almost certainly the ball inside the regulator and this needs to be overhauled. Regarding your second issue, if your compressor builds pressure normally up to around 2000psi and then slows down, this is a final stage problem. It most likely is your piston, but could be a valve as well. Replace final piston, final valves, and rebuild your regulator when the kit arrives.

Thanks,
Gabe

Back
Top Bottom