BC Advice? Mares Diamante?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's probably obvious that I'm buying pretty much all new gear as I've been posting about various products. I've never really owned my own stuff... and it's time.

Saw a post in the BC forum about the Dragon fly, which I have been considering... torn between going back inflation (the dragonfly) or vest style (the diamante)... I would assume that they are quite similar... I have used mostly the vest style (rentals)... but don't really have a strong prefrence... pro's con's???

Any input... by the way they both fit great but have never had a chance to actually use one on a dive? I know I know.. use it first. One major thing (to me anyway) no chest cross strap on the diamante which I do really like... big difference NO..

Just looking for some feedback (I need more friends that dive for this kind of stuff)

I'm not familiar with either BC you've mentioned, but I've been so impressed with the simple back plate, harness and wing from Halcyon that I recommend it to anyone asking for advice. It's not pretty, fancy, or stylish, but the freedom of movement and streamlined design is very impressive. It's often less expensive than other so called tech BC's and will adapt easily as you advance. Make sure you look into it anyway.

Mike

Hey guys, just to remind you that if you are looking for info on just about any product or manufacturer, the best place to look is our own Scuba Directory Once you click on the link it will give you info about your search criteria. In this case it links straight to the Mares Site

If ever you find anything missing from the directory, you can either enter it yourself OR contact Lady Diver or Myself and we'll enter it for you.

Eventhough the bladder on the dragonfly looks like it's on the back, the vest also fills with air. So you get the benefits of both type of systems (back and vest). In the water, it keeps you in a horizontal position because the air moves mostly to the back bladder. On top of the water, it helps you stay upright because the vest portion of the BC inclates as well as the back. Never tried it, but I guess it should work.

If you don't like the constraint of a vest squeezing your torso, then go with a back inflation BC. The drawback of a back inflation BC is on the surface you tend to get pushed forward into the water (face into the water). Trim weights near the tank and not inflating the BC completely helps to correct this problem. If you expect to progress to serious tech diving, go with a modular backplate and wing BC (Halcyon, OMS, Dive Rite). They are a little more expensive, but very versatile.

I bought a Mares Synchro Power recently (which is why I know a little about the Dragonfly). I'm happy with the purchase. It's definitely not as versatile as the modular back inflation BCs, but it's suitable for my level and dive requirements. It was much less than a pure backplate and wing, and gives me the freedom of a back inflation BC. Whichever you buy, make sure you practice in a pool or somewhere familiar. Good luck and have fun!

right on, thank you guys/gals... Trying to get my hands on a dragon fly and a diamante before I buy. I think that either will suit my needs perfectly (for now) Lots and lots of beach diving here in Laguna beach.

thanks for the feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom