BC integrated back-up second stage---best reg set up???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not trying to be a smart ass with my "streamlined" comment, but can see how it could come across that way.

However, how can you NOT like a crotch strap. uuuuuugggggghhhhhhh :)

I was not trying to be a smart ass with my "streamlined" comment, but can see how it could come across that way.

However, how can you NOT like a crotch strap. uuuuuugggggghhhhhhh :)

I didn't take it that way at all James! :D

As an OW recreational diver, I'd put the primary on whatever length hose works best for you. With the normal 27" to 30" you might be a bit close to an OOA diver sharing air but "all the better to control you with my dear". I prefer a 5' hose on my primary and did use that for a while with an Air2. When the Air2 was competing for space with a slung pony, the Air2 was replaced with a bungeed octo. My wife still dives and swears by her Air2. When she had an incedent and lost her primary, she knew right where her Air2 was to be found. Either a bungeed octo or an integrated octo/inflator are preferable to a standard octo flailing around wherever.

While horizontal ascents are a nice skill to master, they are just not essential to safe OW recreational diving. But Jim does seem to teach at a higher level.

Longer hose definitely help when need to donate. The classic recreation length of octo is way to short in a sense that once you start sharing air, the only way for both diver to move is both go vertical and start ascent. You can't really swim under to get to the anchor line easily. Maintaining buoyance at safetly stop with such a short hose can also be difficult too. So I vote for going for a 5ft hose at lease.

Inflator octo is a different story. I still can't answer myself why. Definitely not more streamlining consider how long the inflator needs to be. Now think about failure point. If that octo/inflator combo fail in, you lose both the octo and the inflator. What do you get out of this system?

Oh no, this is turning into the zillionith "octo/inflator-good or evil?" thread. I was just patting myself on the back for my restraint....

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

Ah man! I was hoping to sneak by this particular hijack by saying I was comfortable with my integrated back up, but it seems we can't help ourselves!! :) Thanks to all with advice, I will go with a longer hose. Not sure 5ft makes sense for me, but the arguments for it are pretty good. What I am not sure of is how one deals with the around the body routing in an OOA situation??? Not a tech diver, so any insight on this would be appreciated. I am also quite petite (only 2 inches taller than a 5ft hose). As such, I do try to keep my gear "streamlined" (restraint, people! LOL) to increase comfort/manage weight. So, I do think about the safety to streamline trade-off quite a bit (and before anyone has a go, if you are not hovering around 100lbs in body weight, zip it). Thanks!

I will go with a longer hose. Not sure 5ft makes sense for me, but the arguments for it are pretty good. What I am not sure of is how one deals with the around the body routing in an OOA situation??? Not a tech diver, so any insight on this would be appreciated. I am also quite petite (only 2 inches taller than a 5ft hose).

You should really try it before dismissing it. Your small size makes this even more appealing for two reasons; first, larger divers sometimes find that 5ft is actually a couple of inches shorter than ideal for this routing, so for you it could be perfect. It will not feel too long. Second, if you are in an OOA situation with a humongous brute, you're way better off having the option to keep a little distance. trust me on this one; the whole PADI idea of cramming together and air sharing off a 28-30" hose is just stupid in an actual emergency where people are scared and on the edge of control. Of course, if you were in a situation where you wanted to get up close and personal, the longer hose does not prevent you from doing so. It just doesn't force you to. A slightly longer-than-standard recreational hose, like in the dive rite video, doesn't really solve the problem IMO and presents its own problems in routing and streamlining. I have to say I'm a bit surprised dive rite didn't just get on board with the modified hogarthian routing. 5 ft of hose gets used up very quickly in water when you have two divers in less-than-ideal conditions.

Deploying the long hose takes a bit of practice, but it's really easy. You basically dip your chin and take the reg out, letting the hose go over your head. You could get some coaching from a technical diver who uses the hogarthian set up, but you really don't need it.

One other real benefit is that the long hose is very flexible and essentially removes any push-pull on the 2nd stage in your mouth that is so common with short hoses when you look from side to side. The hogarthian guys really figured this one out. If you're squeamish about buying a hose, it's easy to try, just get a coupler as I suggested and connect two hoses, try it in a pool. You'll like it.

Ah man! I was hoping to sneak by this particular hijack by saying I was comfortable with my integrated back up, but it seems we can't help ourselves!! :) Thanks to all with advice, I will go with a longer hose. Not sure 5ft makes sense for me, but the arguments for it are pretty good. What I am not sure of is how one deals with the around the body routing in an OOA situation??? Not a tech diver, so any insight on this would be appreciated. I am also quite petite (only 2 inches taller than a 5ft hose). As such, I do try to keep my gear "streamlined" (restraint, people! LOL) to increase comfort/manage weight. So, I do think about the safety to streamline trade-off quite a bit (and before anyone has a go, if you are not hovering around 100lbs in body weight, zip it). Thanks!

An OOA situation is very easy with the long hose. Actually easier IMO because of the extra hose. All you do is tip your head slightly forward as you remove your primary from your mouth. This allows the hose to slip over your head and give the OOA diver that extra room.

THANK YOU for the advice! I will try the 5 footer!!! Really appreciate the additional insight on this halocline and jamesk!!

Back
Top Bottom