BC quickdump inflator loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed today that the quickdump on the inflator of my BC was loose. I don't use the quickdump particularly often (my last BC didn't have one, so I wasn't in the habit), but I read that it's not an uncommon failure point. I inspected the connection so I could reattach it and it seemed to be just two threaded pieces of plastic that sandwich the bladder. Is that really sufficient? I reconnected it and imagined that I could hear a small amount of air escaping, but it was quiet enough that a) I could be imagining it or b) it always leaked there but not enough to notice/matter.

The dump valve is a simple mechanism. There's also a spring in it, right? Inflate the bc fully and check it after a few hours. If it's lost air, you (or your LDS) should do additional maintenance.

There should be a rubber o-ring or seal in there. Fully inflate and spray soapy water on it and see where it's coming from. Could also be cross threaded.

Yeah, a very basic design; if it leaks, it's because of a bit of crud on the rubber seal and the "cup". Just clean it up with water & soap, tighten by hand, and you should be good.

If you're talking about the tug dump that's actuated by tugging on the inflater you should just need to put tit together. Make sure no parts are cracked or seals got distorted with extrusion or creasing.

I always felt that valve had poor leverage and was needlessly hard on it's self. I usually use a back dump valve or the inflater dump button if vertical.

Pete

To add to what Jim said, just get rid of it and replace it with an elbow.

Dive Rite's part number is DR-BC2042 $9.45

EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

The hardest part of the whole job is knocking out the little pin in the inflator assembly that retains the wire.

Regardless of which road you take here, BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL!!! when reattaching the inflator/deflator hose to the B/C. The threads on the two coupling parts are very fine and the parts, themselves, are made of plastic.

It's VERY, VERY easy to cross-thread the male and female parts and generate an even larger leak problem.

If you feel even the slightest amount of hesitation when starting to thread the parts together, back up and start over.

the K

Clean the parts with some soapy water (including the rubber ring) and let them dry. Then coat the rubber ring with some o-ring lubricant. That should help it stay soft and get a good seal. As others have said, take care as you screw the cover back on so that you don't cross-thread it.

I noticed today that the quickdump on the inflator of my BC was loose. I don't use the quickdump particularly often (my last BC didn't have one, so I wasn't in the habit), but I read that it's not an uncommon failure point...

To add to what Jim said, just get rid of it and replace it with an elbow.

Dive Rite's part number is DR-BC2042 $9.45...

I concur, simpler is better. It may also be a good time to consider if your corrugated hose is a comfortable length. Here is another source if it works better for you:

Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Corrugated Hoses - Elbows - Quick Dumps - Northeast Scuba Supply

I am a lot shorter than you are and I extended mine to 16".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom