BC Recommendation/Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ernbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been researching BCs online and in a few LDS. I've kind of narrowed it down to the Mares icon, Zeagle Escape or one that my LDS has - Amer Sea Guardian.

I'm a "vacation diver" and would like to get into some more local diving. I live in Kansas City, MO (yeah, there are a few local, moderate visibilty spots).

So, I've been able to read some good reviews regarding the Mares icon and Zeagle Escape, but I can't find anything at all about the Amer Sea Guardian. I know that they are no longer producing BCs but I'm surprised that I couldn't find any archived reviews or anything when I searched the board's archives.

I really like the look and feel of the Guiardian, but have obvious concerns regarding maintenance and replacement parts for something that's not produced anymore. The cost for all 3 are roughly $400 so the price isn't much of a deciding point.

Of those you mentioned, the Zeagle Escape is my favorite. The workmanship is as good as it gets and so is the support behind the product. You simply can't go wrong with a Zeagle.

I would ask your LDS if you can take all three into the pool and test dive them. That way you can make an informed decision.
As a "vacation diver" you would appreciate how compact the Icon can be. Can't go wrong with a Zeagle as NetDoc already mentioned.

Divers Supply there in KC is a Zeagle dealer. Real nice guys. I just bought a used Ranger and it was awesome this last weekend at Beaver.

When I was going through the process, I checked out Mares, and I didn't like their integrated weight systems (looked like to much room for breakage...just an opinion)

Zeagles are made to last and tough as nails..I wish I bought one when I first purchased, but I got a lot of good use out of my Aeris Atmos XT which is another great BC (and I've since moved to a Dive Rite Transplate)

Try whatever you can though...you won't know for sure until you dive in it!

I just down the road from you in Manhattan, KS and just finished my open water in July and made my first dives since my C-Card last weekend at Beaver. I purchased a back inflated BC for my open water (Gensis Tropic) but it put pressure on my lower back when out of water that was unacceptable. While I was at Beaver I stopped by C&J Sports and they had a Dive Rite TransPac in stock - I put a tank on it and fell in love it with it. It took all the backward force and twisting of the Tropic and place the weight more in my upper back and shoulders. With the Tropic I was having to walk bent over but with the TransPac I can now walk upright without any problems. The TransPac reminds me more of backpack and are very well balanced out and in the water.

Back
Top Bottom