BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
It would if you'd ever take the light off your nails.

:D

With the glowing hot pink stuff -- who needs a light??? :D

:14:

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
I am digging the Hot Pink -- but it doesn't come in 2" :((

Kimber

Ask your LDS to order you some 2" webbing from Trident. It comes in hot green, hot yelow, yellow, red, blue, black, and yes...PINK!

I dive with a Zeagle Brigade, which can accomodate doubles, using the Zeagle "Twin Tank Attachment". I like it, especially for pocket storage. However, I am very tempted to try a bp/w rig. Many of you make a great case for it.

veggiedog:
With regards to floating face down on the surface being touchy to deal with: not touchy at all, if you are floating face down at the surface you are diving with too much weight.

My two cents: I've written a bit on ScubaBoard in the past about my distinct preference for a jacket BCD (after much dive experience with wings) in the Public Safety Divers forum, so I won't go into a detailed argument here. However I must say I cannot agree with your statement above based on my practical experience. For some folks it may be a weighting issue, but I would venture to say that is only in the minority of cases. After much experimentation by myself and other guys on my dive team, the back inflation systems always pushed us forward, regardless of reasonable variations in weight placement, inflation, and configuration. This is only one of many reasons I prefer a jacket BCD.

Jocasseegirl:
I'm a new diver - doing some research on BC's. I learned to dive with a jacket BCD, but I've heard of "wings and plates." Can someone please educate me on the difference, other than the fact that one is primarily just on your back? Can you wear double tanks with a jacket BC? Several of my friends wear the OMS BC with bands, but I haven't gotten a chance to question them about it. Thanks for your advice!
The back mounted wings are good if you are doing technical stuff and having air bladders in front and beside you, get in the way. Other wise they are annoying because they seem to restrict your positioning in the water to either face up or face down. They seem to fight any position in between. Safty wise , if you go unconscious for whatever reason, they tend to put you face down in the water, not good if you still want to breathe.
Jacket bcs are good for many reasons. they are easy to put on. they come with pockets . Some even have integrated weights ( only good if you do local diving). If you go unconcious they put you mostly vertical in water, better chance of breathing. If you want to wear doubles you can get adapters to achieve that. Use them only with a jacket with rigid backplate; the travel bcs are too flexible. They also allow good positioning in the water.
I have used all of the equipment I have described. Now I just use a jacket bc with single tank. If I need alot of air I just use a big tank. Doubles weigh alot and unless you are working underwater , wreckdiving , cave diving ,decompression diving they are not worth the bother.

jgard:
Jacket bcs are good for many reasons. they are easy to put on. they come with pockets . Some even have integrated weights ( only good if you do local diving).
Why would you say integrated weights are only good if you do local diving?

jgard:
The back mounted wings are good if you are doing technical stuff and having air bladders in front and beside you, get in the way. Other wise they are annoying because they seem to restrict your positioning in the water to either face up or face down. They seem to fight any position in between.
Hmmm ... that's not been my experience ... and I've done hundreds of dives in various backplate/wing systems.

In fact, the ScubaBoarders who were in Bonaire with me recently could attest to the fact that I spent a considerable portion of every dive inverted, while taking pictures. My BP/wing didn't in any way "fight" my desire to maintain any position in the water that I chose to attempt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah and once again, same here.

Wow 2 guys tried a BP on a few dives and had their faces pushed in the water, it must be true!

What about other gear that may have been clipped off, that may have added substantial weight to the front of the rig.

Once again, find me one current BP diver who claims they get their face pushed into the water on the surface, or who has problems getting into any position other than horizontal.

I personally have a Mares Syncro-tech BC with weight integration. I like it 'cause I can dive a dry suit and just change weights, and it handles double 80's easily. It has a couple of pockets and a front zippered pouch that is handy for a backup light. I use it with a wet suit as well and find it easier on my back tha a plate. just me preference. It also has a wing bladder like a plate/wing setup and has bottom air dumps as well. Nice for a head down travel adjustment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom