BCD Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The item you selected is a comfortable and quality BCD from a reputable manufacturer that should last for many year if properly cared for. There are many viable options, but I think you have made a good choice.
DivemasterDennis

Thank you DivemasterDennis. There is SO much stuff out there! I see now why other divers say "there is always new toys to buy when diving!" Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPW and Jet Fin comments in...3...2...1...

I don't know if I totally should or totally shouldn't make the comment now. Oh well, here it goes.

Yes, the BCD you picked seems like a good choice and (if it fits) will make a good, reliable piece of gear with regular preventative maintenance.

However, try more BCD styles before you buy one. I would DEFINITELY recommend getting certified first. See if you can try different styles during your course (back inflate, jacket with/without tons of pockets, bpw, minimalist back-inflate) and see what you like. If you cant try them during cert then see if you can immediately post-cert. Also, post-cert you can figure out where/how/with whom you'll be diving and see what they're using/recommending/liking. Getting certified before buying gear, and then diving as if you had gear, is the best way to know whether or not you SHOULD buy gear. If you DO decide you like diving and will stick with it, then you can consider purchasing or just renting. Once you decide to purchase, hopefully you'll have enough dives to know what you do or don't like. I dove for 9 years without any gear besides mask/snorkel/fin.

And here's a plug for backplate/harness/wing assembly (BPW): They're great, simple, and NOT exclusively for tech diving. They're reliable, and people typically agree that they add slightly more stability to your dive. Diving in/around the UK often requires lots of exposure protection due to the cold water, so a steel backplate can shed like 10lbs off of your weight belt compared to the above jacket-style BCD.

Because fins were mentioned: I'm a fluid dynamicist by training, trade, and passion. I still haven't seen one "gimmick" that is anything but a "gimmick." If it seems too good to be true, it is. Fluid dynamics can be thought of in very simple terms with fins, and no "trick" can "increase" your propulsion by much....and if there were a trick, relativity and all current physics assumptions would be wrong.

Thank you! Reading this I think I'll get the mask/fins sorted first, save some pennies and get more equipment once certified.

I've tried Cressi and Mares BCD's - both the same style - both are very comfortable in the water.

Should I be looking for the maximum life possible for my size or is the related more to technical diving?

Jw, if I remember correctly, you're learning to div through BSAC, which means you have the opportunity to try various types of bcs within your club. I suggest you do that. I bought my first set of kit shortly after getting certified. All of it was replaced within 6 months, some within in 3 (mainly my BC). So I would talk to people, see what they dive, ask them why, see if you can try out it during or after you finish your training. Scuba kit is not cheap, so I would try out what you can while you can.

Hi rivers. You remember right. I've recently changed club too and there is newer kit there which is good. I like the thinking, I'll hang back a while and decide then. I bought a Tusa Freedom mask already from my LDS and its amazing! That was because I got to try so many on... I got one I was pleased with!

So try (lots) before you buy? Any other recommendations on manufacturer? So I can ask when trying them.

I'm assuming you meant lift instead of life. If you meant life, all high quality BCD'S should or last your wanting to dive them if properly maintained.

If you meant lift, there are a TON of different threads on this topic (mostly for BPWs). More lift means more drag. Too much lift can also mean the air goes in weird spots and gets stuck in those weird spots and keep your BCD controls from functioning right. Too little lift can get you in trouble as well. It's not rocket science, but most people should get between 30 and 40 pounds for a single tank rig, especially if diving with thicker wetsuits and steel tanks. If you're careful with your weight, you could do with 25 unless you're diving really thick wetsuits.

Some people with BPWs have a special travel bpw with a tiny wing used specifically for warm water diving. That's because they pack smaller and lighter for flying and you don't need the lift in warm water.

What do you need lift for? As you go deeper, the air in your suit compresses, making you more negative. You need to be able to hold that. To be neutral at the end, you have to be negative at the beginning so when you breathe your tank down you don't get too positive. You need to be able to float your whole rig, full, at the surface. All Your lead, regs, tank, etc really adds up in weight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Yes concentrate first on the basics Mask, Fins, Snorkel, booties and wetsuit. Each person's skill and comfort level are different right off.

Take comment's by posters with a grain of salt. BPW's are not the heaven sent item some folks here may lead you to believe.

Enjoy your certification course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom