BCD and OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bernwald

Registered
Reaction score
my wife is looking to get certified, and we found a brand new, never been used, in the plastic, TUSA Platina Evolution at a pawn shop for 150. my question is is this BCD suitable for OW trainning or would she be better off with the class rental so she doesn't have the added distraction of a BCD that is differant from the rest of the class?

If the BCD fits and is comfortable she should be fine in the class. My wife is currently doing her OW and is using a Zeagle Express Tech. The rest of the class has Knighthawks and there are some big differences. It is really just a matter of speaking with the instructor so they know what things are different (weight pockets, releases, etc.).

Personally I think if someone has their own gear prior to OW it is better to use it for training than the rental gear. Yes it may be differently configured, but it is the gear the diver intends to use post-certification and becoming comfortable and familiar with your own gear is important. What better way than while you're taking a class?

I think it is best to train in what you will later dive in. Then the training is more pertinent and specific for your needs.

If buying second hand, be sure to fully inspect the BCD. Most importantly, ensure that it is orally inflated to full and holds the air in the bladder without leaking (15-30mins min).

Check all the connectors. Tug on all the dumps. Look for pinprick holes.

Check the fit and if it works out well and you plan to continue diving and buy your own gear, then it's a good deal.

they are fine BCDs - a former employer (small shop) used to use them as rental BCDs - and we never had major problems with them. We did have a few that leaked on arrival but we were super small beans to the industry. Otherwise they were fine.

It's always a good idea to train in what you will later dive with. All basic scuba gear does pretty much the same thing, but it's nice to be familiar with the location of buttons and straps and d-rings and connectors and whatnot. And personal comfort is also very important.

If you dive regularly it becomes a very person item. I've been wearing the same BCD for over 6 years and I dread to think what I will do when it finally breaks!

It's a good BCD for a good price. If you decide you want to buy your own gear, check it out thoroughly, preferably with a more experienced friend, to make sure it's not a cheap deal because it's a defective lemon. Plastic is easy to remove and replace.

Cheers

C.

I used a TUSA Expert BCD for just over 500 dives, so I would reckon that if taken care of properly this BCD should be no different and if paying $150 for it then the overall cost will be 30 cents per dive provided your wife makes that number.

Dive gear can be an expensive investment, but it usually lasts for years.

As others have mentioned, proper fit is most important. Have her try it on while wearing something that approximates the thickness of her wetsuit. Adjust the straps to be snug. Inflate. Then grab ahold of the shoulder straps and pull up. The unit should stay snug to her body ... if it moves up around her ears, she won't be comfortable using it.

$150 for that rig is a great deal! I paid twice that for my first BCD ... a TUSA Imprex Pro ... which I used lovingly for my first few hundred dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why do we keep making assumptions that non-divers automatically can pass the class?

Why not wait to make sure that the lady passes the course before shopping?

I think an assumption based on an extremely low failure rate in OW class is fair...

I don't know what the pass rate is, globally, for OW training... but from my experience I'd estimate it at well above 95%.

my wife is looking to get certified, and we found a brand new, never been used, in the plastic, TUSA Platina Evolution at a pawn shop for 150. my question is is this BCD suitable for OW trainning or would she be better off with the class rental so she doesn't have the added distraction of a BCD that is differant from the rest of the class?
This is a jacket-style, weight-integrated BCD. It is very suitable for OW training. Presumably, all the other OW students will be in a jacket-style BCD as well, so her unit will not be very 'different' from what others are using. For the class, she will still want to use a weight belt, for the skills involving removal and replacement of the weights, instead of integrated weights.

Nothing wrong with this unit at all. The price is reasonable. Although it retails for >$500, ScubatToys will sell you a brand new one for $275. Therefore $150 for a brand new one is, relatively, a good price. Knowing what I know now, would I buy a weight-integrated, jacket-style BCD? NO. But, would it be acceptable for the average OW diver? Certainly. Frankly, I would not buy it as an OW student. Use the (? rental) gear supplied as part of the course fee. Get certified. Dive some. THEN, think about buying gear.

Back
Top Bottom